Bunny won't eat and lethargic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassandra

Reaction score
Hello, my 2yo bun, Khaleesi, is a dwarf lionhead. She's very sick and I've taken her to the vet on Friday, the 20th with only very little improvement. I noticed she wasn't eating and when I picked her up she was just sitting in her urine- it was a darker brown shade. I went to give her a haircut (she has extremely thick fur) because I thought maybe because it's hot out (even though we have a/c and fans on) I thought maybe it would help. She was very calm, I proceeded to her belly in which I noticed a medium sized hard clump on her privates. I immediately thought UTI infection. I removed the clump and then puss flowed out along with seed-sized poops that were slimy. This confused me because she has a clean cage, she's free to wander so she's never in her cage unless to potty and eat.. I immediately took her to the vet (which was her very first vet visit so I was in tears and nervous as heck) and although they were kind, they weren't EXTREMELY attentive as the vet seemed to have a lot on his mind I suppose? They checked out her teeth, said they looked good but they saw some slight signs of hooks but nothing to worry about.. She had a slight temperature. They said they were unsure so they gave her some shots and then sent me home with critical care food (recommended was 4-6 servings a day), Metacam (1x a day), Baytril (1x a day), and Cisapride Suspension (2x a day). Today is her last day on the medications and there is little to no improvement. As for the critical care, the first day she gobbled it up, the following days it waa a struggle to even get a full 2 servings in a day. She'll just hold it in her mouth. She did start pooing a little however last night not at all. Her pee isn't dark anymore and she does hop as if she's fine however for the majority she's still lethargic, won't go near her cage. Her favorite treat is papaya and she won't touch it. She just lays on the tile until I get her to snuggle and take her medicines and try to get her to eat... I have another appointment today at 2:30. My heart hurts so much for her, all I want is her to feel better and she's not and I feel like the worst bunny momma for it.. When I'm not at work (I had 2 short shifts during this time) I'm not leaving her side but I don't know what else to do..

It could be that your bun is sensitive to baytril and it is causing nausea and the lack of appetite. I would definitely discuss switching antibiotics with your vet to maybe smz/tmp if your vet is treating a urinary tract infection.

Also urinary tract infections can often be caused by calcium sediment build up(bladder sludge) or stones in the bladder. This can be a cause of continuing pain for your bun, which would continue to cause a lack of appetite. If this is the case you will probably need xrays to confirm and the vet may need to flush the sediment from the bladder or if there are stones, surgery may be needed. So if your vet didn't already check this or rule it out then it would be a good idea to discuss the possibility with your vet.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm (contains medical related photos)
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HypercalciuriaRabbits.htm

Also your bun could be dehydrated at this point, so having the vet give sub q fluids might be helpful. If your bun has bladder sludge, this is especially important as the extra fluids can help flush sediment out.

Did the pus come from a wound, just on the skins surface, or from the digestive or urinary tract?

If you don't feel your vet is very rabbit savvy, here is a list you may be able to find a better vet on.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back