Bunny won’t leave carpet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this normal?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Joustine

Reaction score
My bun is a 4 month old dwarf. I noticed the day I got him that he HATES walking on my floors and would refuse to leave a little blanket I had for him. I recently bought a large carpet for him to run on, but he still won’t even try to walk on the floor! My house is mainly hardwood and I feel bad that he’s just stuck in one corner of my room. Is there a way to train him to walk on the wood so he can really free roam?

Buns don't have pads on their paws like dogs or cats. They only have fur. That means hardwood floors can be slick. Some rabbits don't seem to mind it. Others refuse to walk on it. It depends on the rabbit. One of the two rabbits in my avatar would walk on our hardwood floors without hesitation. Her partner refused. I got a runner to go from their cage to the main area rug in the living room.

How large of a rug did you get? Getting a large area rug (or more) is probably your best bet. Eventually he may decide to venture out onto the floor.

Buns don't have pads on their paws like dogs or cats. They only have fur. That means hardwood floors can be slick. Some rabbits don't seem to mind it. Others refuse to walk on it. It depends on the rabbit. One of the two rabbits in my avatar would walk on our hardwood floors without hesitation. Her partner refused. I got a runner to go from their cage to the main area rug in the living room.

How large of a rug did you get? Getting a large area rug (or more) is probably your best bet. Eventually he may decide to venture out onto the floor.

Thanks for the reply. It’s a fairly large carpet, covers almost half the room. I almost even considered getting carpet flooring around the house just for him. I hope he does decide one day to try, he’s a brave boy lol

I would try to put his pellet bowl, or something other tasty, a few steps away from the carpet, and leave her alone. Some get used to slick floors when they have an incentive to try, and can do so without feeling urged to do so.

Prietler is correct. They may become more brave with proper incentive!

For us, it is most convenient actually that he refuses to walk on hardwood floors. It means we no longer have to barricade the other doors (to office and bedrooms). :p

I find that my bun will only walk on the hardwood floors because he has to. My kitchen and dining room area have hardwood floors and he won't even step on those! As Blue eyes said, it means less bunny proofing!

Latest posts

Back