Bunny won’t eat after spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixelFrenzy

Reaction score
Both my rabbits got fixed today and my female isn’t eating or drinking. My male already seems back to normal. I’ve read a few things about females having a harder time after the surgery but when should I start to really worry? She seems uncomfortable and in pain. I’ve seen her pee a few times but I don’t know if shes pooped. She’s sitting funny and doesn’t move from one spot for a long time.
I’ve ordered Critical care and it should be here Wednesday (I couldn’t find it anywhere locally today, I might go look more tomorrow). Will that help her? I’m just so worried about her and about her going into stasis.

the vet didn’t give me any pain meds to take home. They said to call them if I thought she needed more and I could come pick it up. Problem is, the vet is over an hour away and with work I’m not sure when I could go again.

oh my, it is necessary for them to get pain medication after surgery :( is there anyway you can get some delivered to you? not sure if that's possible.

But yes, females do take more time recovering after spay. For me, my boys ate just a few hours after coming home. With my girl, took her almost 6 hours! she was just sitting in the corner wondering what happened :(

If she doesn't eat within 12 hours, I would say its a red flag and you'll need to contact your vet

It really annoys me when vets don't send home pain medication, especially for spays. It's a major surgery. I would ask for meloxicam /metacam suspension to take home tomorrow.

If there are any leafy greens she usually gets, I've had the best luck getting rabbits to eat those after surgery. It's also important to make sure your rabbit is warm. Rabbits can get hypothermic after surgery and a hypothermic rabbit won't eat. If your rabbit is cold I would provide a rabbit safe warm pack next to or under her to keep her warm.

But usually if the rabbit hasn't eaten by the next morning after surgery, then it's important to talk to the vet and get instructions and food to start syringe feeding.

Both my rabbits got fixed today and my female isn’t eating or drinking. My male already seems back to normal. I’ve read a few things about females having a harder time after the surgery but when should I start to really worry? She seems uncomfortable and in pain. I’ve seen her pee a few times but I don’t know if shes pooped. She’s sitting funny and doesn’t move from one spot for a long time.
I’ve ordered Critical care and it should be here Wednesday (I couldn’t find it anywhere locally today, I might go look more tomorrow). Will that help her? I’m just so worried about her and about her going into stasis.

the vet didn’t give me any pain meds to take home. They said to call them if I thought she needed more and I could come pick it up. Problem is, the vet is over an hour away and with work I’m not sure when I could go again.

All buns are different after surgeries. I got two girls spayed a few weeks ago. One started eating like normal as soon as we got home, the other needed to be critical care fed. If you don’t have any of that on hand right now, mush up some pellets with water, and make it into a paste, and then syringe feed it to your bun.

Generally with my experiences, they only need one critical care feed before they start eating again

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back