Bunny weird poop, not cecotropes!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello! i have 2 female mini lop rabbits (2 months old and unspayed). Today they have been producing no normal poop, instead they produced this yellowish-brownish sticky soft poop. Im not 100% sure if they arent producing normal poop, because im not with them 24/7 lol. (Btw the bunnies are still eating their cecotropes). Their poops were still normal yesterday.
The bunnies are eating well, drinking well, playing well. if you wanna know their diet:
Oaten hay (Im running out of hay, and i cant get anymore until 3 days later, and right now the bunnies are living off the scrap pieces of hay. Theres alot of scraps so they arent starving.)
some pellets (kinda moist because its raining where i am and i keep the pellets in a not air tight container)
some carrot and cucumber
tiny bit of apple/pear
some random wheatgrass from backyard
are they sick? their still behaving normally.
also, cant get picture because im on computer lol🐇

When the fecal poop is not normal round balls but is watery and/or mushy, this is considered true diarrhea, which is considered an emergency. If the diarrhea has a bright yellowish color(not the normal color of yellow hay) to it, this indicates the bacteria e. coli. If your bunnies are having yellowish mushy fecal poop, I would consider this an emergency, even though your rabbits are still eating and acting normally, they could quickly deteriorate if the diarrhea isn't stopped and they aren't put on the proper antibiotic right away to treat the e. coli. I would strongly urge getting your rabbits seen by a knowledgeable rabbit vet today, immediately, as diarrhea is very serious and can even be fatal.

http://rabbitvet.net/AustralianRabbitVets.htm
Your rabbit will need to be put on the proper rabbit safe antibiotic(possibly baytril), may need sub q fluids, and if they stop eating well, will need supportive syringe feeding. I would also recommend to not feed any more veggies for now, and especially no fruit or high carb foods as these can further worsen the pathogenic bacteria in the gut. You may also want to stop the grass from the yard for now. If you can get the hay any sooner, a good quality grass hay is the best thing to help a rabbit with digestive problems, because of the fiber in hay. I would also suggest doing a very thorough clean of your rabbits environment, using a rabbit safe disinfectant.

One other note concerning the antibiotic that gets prescribed. Rabbits are highly sensitive to some oral antibiotics(and a few injected as well), which can be fatal if given to them. Please make sure to see a good rabbit vet, and make sure the antibiotic is rabbit safe, as some inexperienced vets have been known to prescribe the wrong antibiotic, which in many cases is fatal to the rabbit. If you don't have access to an experienced rabbit vet but only a local vet, they should consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet concerning the proper diagnosis and treatment of this. The Melbourne rabbit clinic is one possibility. You can also look at the vet list link I shared above.

Medirabbit: safe antibiotics for rabbits

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...its?redirectid=986?ruleredirectid=30#v3306536
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

Last edited:
hi, ty for replying.
the poop is not bright yellow, its like 75% brown and 25% yellow.
the poop's consistency is like
bread dough but a tiny bit more stickier
is this still diarrhea?

Yes, this is diarrhea. The amount of yellow in it may just mean it isn't to the severe stage. Which your rabbits still eating and acting normal, also indicates. So getting it treated right away, gives your rabbits the best chance of being able to recover from this successfully. I would still recommend getting to a rabbit vet right away for treatment.

Are the poops still in the form of round balls, or is it coming out looking more like mushy logs or pudding like?

Ok so, its been a day. The bunnies right now are producing half normal poops and half weird bread poops.
the poops are now like 90% brown and 10% yellow
the weird poop arent in the shape of a ball, theyre 4x times bigger, and is in a shape of a oval? not sure because my rabbits run everywhere and steps on the poops.
but as i said, the consistency is like smooth bread dough but a tiny bit stickier.
could these be cecotropes that the bunnies didnt eat?
i sometimes find these poops stuck on the bunnies fur around the area of the butthole.
also, can the bunnies survive on the scraps of hay? theres still plenty of scraps for them to eat though.

Those are cecotropes. You can see the individual capsules that comprise cecals. But it does look improperly formed, and this along with it being left uneaten, usually means there's something wrong with them(wrong microflora). They smell wrong to the rabbit so don't get consumed like normal.

The fecals still don't sound normal. Log shaped doughy fecal poop that is yellowish in color, is not good and means something is wrong with the digestive tract. It would still be my recommendation for them to be checked out by a rabbit vet. But otherwise, lots of hay is the best food to help get digestive issues sorted out.

Okay.
the weird poops arent yellow anymore, theyre brown
last question: can bunnies survive on backyard grass for 1 day?
theres no more hay, and im getting the hay tomorrow night. Can i feed the bunnies random grass in the backyard for just tomorrow?

Maybe. If it's really soft and early growth, it could possibly cause problems if too much is consumed. Just depends on how rich it is, how used to eating it your rabbits are, and how sensitive their digestion is to it. If it's a more mature growth with some hard stem but also leaf, that is the perfect stage of growth, and is less likely to cause digestive issues.

Also it needs to be free of pesticide/herbicides, and uncontaminated by animal feces/urine or vehicle contaminants, etc. And also hopefully, isn't the original source of their poop upset.

Hi again lol
So my bunnies are pooping these only:
1657257688834.png
(they are not potty trained but i sweep the floor everyday)
there was only 1 single piece of normal poop on the floor,the rest look like the one shown in the pic.
Should i take them to a vet?

i'm not the most experienced rabbit owner but the poop and digestive health of rabbits is extremely important. the fact that their poop has been off for multiple days now suggests you should definitely take them to the vet as soon as you can, like JBun has said multiple times.
good luck :)

Latest posts

Back