Bunny waking me up at night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylover14

Reaction score
I share a room with my bunny. Every night he chews on his cage and it wakes me up (usually at like 5 am and I like to wake up at like 7 am or 8 am. ) I am wondering what I should do.
Usually I give him a small scoop of pellets and go back to bed but he just wakes me up like 30 minutes later. I am wondering what I should do. he sometimes also does it in the middle of the night and when I am trying to go to bed. I take him out of his cage for awhile everyday and give him plenty of food, So I am not sure why he is doing this.

How big is his cage? No matter how long he is out of his cage it still may not be big enough.
Does he have toys? He needs 3 or 4 toys that are enriching for him to play with.
Does he have hay at night? Hay is vital and it could give him food if he is hungry at night.

You'll definitely want to stop him from chewing on the cage bars -- not just because it wakes you up, but also because he can misalign his teeth by doing so which could cause expensive dental issues.

A photo of his cage might help us come up with some suggestions and ideas.

If your rabbit is over 6 months of age, his pellets should be limited. You don't want him training you which is what he's doing if he gets rewarded for making noise at night!

his cage is 6 feet by 2 feet. (But I take him out of his cage alot.) He has over 5 toys in his cage. hay is unlimited as well as water. I only give him a little pellets everyday and I give him A lot of greens.

I think he needs more space, and that is why he is biting the bars. It meets the minimum, but I've never seen a rabbit happy in that size of a cage. I'd recommend upgrading to a 16 square foot exercise pen, or free-roaming if possible.

Since I have a carpeted room, I am a bit worried about him peeing all over. he is litter trained but still has accidents occasionally.

Part of the problem is that because you have paid attention and given him food when he does this, you have essentially trained him to wake you up and chew on the bars to get what he wants. So it's going to take some retraining and making some changes in his set up to stop the behavior.

I am sure you are aware that rabbits are most active in the early hours of the morning, and evening as well. He is probably not thrilled about waiting to be let out only at 8am while he has all that energy to expel.
If possible, as others have suggested, could you try extending his play area at night, and also add a litter box with hay in the extended area? This way he gets extra floor space and will be happier, and you can sleep knowing he's still safe and has a litter box in the carpeted area. Good luck ❤️

Latest posts

Back