Bunny vs Snow?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larlar44

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm just asking for future reference here but what is your opinion on bunny snow play time in the winter?(Obviously in moderation) I know some people have different opinions. Just want to hear from fellow bunny lovers. How you feel, past experiences, etc.

Hey everybody, I'm just asking for future reference here but what is your opinion on bunny snow play time in the winter?(Obviously in moderation) I know some people have different opinions. Just want to hear from fellow bunny lovers. How you feel, past experiences, etc.
My bunnies live outside and have a heated cat bed in their shelter. They choose to leave the warmth of their shelter to run around in their pen even when it’s 10 degrees out. We make a circle path and they chase each other in the snow, and they dig into it as well.

As long as they can retreat to their dry shelter when they like there's nothing wrong with snow. For outdoor bunnys no problem at all. Cold doesn't bother them as much as heat. They like to dig for grass.

For indoor bunnies there's something else to consider, the temperature change between a heated room and outside, I'm somewhat worried about my boys lungs when it's well below freezing outside.
Also, when they are indoors most of their time their winter coat might be poor.

Usually my area doesn’t dip below 10 degrees F, so 10 degrees is my limit. As I said, they still choose to run outside at that temp, but if it’s going to stay colder for more than three days I bring them in for the rest of the winter. I also believe rapid temp changes are not good for them, so I wonder how warm is their indoor space and how cold a snowy day are you talking about? I’d think a 68 degree indoor bunny would be very happy with a 15 minute 25 degree snow play time. Is that what you had in mind?

Latest posts

Back