Bunny Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riq100

Reaction score
Hello I’m a relatively new rabbit owner and ive had my bunny ( her name is Honey ) for about 5 months and I’ve tried to train her before but nothing seems to work. I recently just learned about “clicker training” and wanted to know if anyone has tried it and has it worked?????

I tried like using food as a way to get her to listen. I had got toys to see if her curiosity would get her to follow my commands but she’ll look at it and hop away

I find myself telling my boys all the time: "Bunnies have such big ears and don't ever listen!" 🤣

Seriously, though, you may just need more time for Honey to respect you. Rabbits will never try and please like dogs will, but at best will accept you. It took Lawrence months to let me pet him, and about a year and a half of ignoring my every word (sometimes definitely on purpose), but now he comes when called, is excited when I greet him in the morning, and loves his pets more than anything.

Rabbits are an exercise in patience. You may find that as she trusts you more and more she will "come around". Don't give up, keep up the positive reinforcement, and allow her to be herself. Don't get mad at her if she doesn't "perform". Every bunny is different!

Thank you so much!!!! Honey has intentionally not listened sometimes but I’ve continued working with her despite her obvious lack to listen. Off the wall question thoughs: do you let your bunny roam the house or not? Also do you feed your rabbit a variety of food or just hay/pellets??

I let them roam most of the house when I'm home. When I'm not they have large pens in one of my rooms. Bunny-proofing is not negotiable if you want to let them roam for ANY TIME AT ALL... the little stinkers will chew through a wire in a second! I feed them fresh greens (mixed) in the morning, and about an 1/8 of a cup of Oxbow Garden Select Adult Rabbit pellets in the evening. Other than that, they have unlimited timothy hay and water, and occasionally get orchard grass. For treats, I use the Oxbow Simple Rewards, and I cut them up into little pieces, so I can give them "more". (The actually get less, but don't tell them!) They will also get old fashioned oats and the occasional bite of apple or banana for treats. I've also been known to pick the clover in my back yard, which they love.

If you're new to bunny parenting, I find the Bunny Lady a great resource. Her info is presented very concisely and easily-digestible. As far as places to ask questions, this is the best forum I've found!

https://bunnylady.com/

Thank you so much!!! I definitely appreciate you taking the time to help me and Honey!!

Latest posts

Back