Bunny toy?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no! That sucks small pet select is okay. They have it on amazon but I find it to be dusty. Also this is off topic but is Canada infected with the coronavirus?

Oh no! That sucks small pet select is okay. They have it on amazon but I find it to be dusty. Also this is off topic but is Canada infected with the coronavirus?

Those who were in Iran who came back yes they were infected with the virus. But its not crazy over here.

There’s a lot that are here in America, especially Washington. It’s crazy everything is flying off shelves fast like hand gel, mask and disinfectant sprays also bottles water

Bermuda hay and brome hay are another couple alternatives (along with the meadow and orchard mentioned by somebunnylovesme). If you are looking to save costs, you can try getting a bale at a local feed store. The bales are infinitely less expensive. Just see what varieties they have since it varies based on where you live.

The cheapest litter is wood pellets (different than shavings). They don't have to be pine. I find them just a tad better than Yesterday's News for odor control. When I switched from YN, it took me awhile to get used to using less of the wood pellets. They absorb so much and I discovered I didn't need to use near as much as I did of the YN. Either litter is fine -- it's personal preference. A 40lb bag of wood pellets cost about $6 or $7.

I have a page on my website about how to save costs (and on what):
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/costs.html

I also agree that some rabbits do just fine as single rabbits. It sounds like yours is settling in grandly. She seeks you out and interacts, so it may not be necessary to get a 2nd bun.

You are right to be cautious in offering new greens. You can try any number of new greens (list at link below) but the key is to try just one type at a time and only a small amount to start. Try a bit. If she likes it, give her more of the same each day for the next several days. If her poos don't change, then she's good to go with that particular green. Do that with each new intro. https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

What is her approximate weight? That determines the amount of pellets she gets.

Bermuda hay and brome hay are another couple alternatives (along with the meadow and orchard mentioned by somebunnylovesme). If you are looking to save costs, you can try getting a bale at a local feed store. The bales are infinitely less expensive. Just see what varieties they have since it varies based on where you live.

The cheapest litter is wood pellets (different than shavings). They don't have to be pine. I find them just a tad better than Yesterday's News for odor control. When I switched from YN, it took me awhile to get used to using less of the wood pellets. They absorb so much and I discovered I didn't need to use near as much as I did of the YN. Either litter is fine -- it's personal preference. A 40lb bag of wood pellets cost about $6 or $7.

I also agree that some rabbits do just fine as single rabbits. It sounds like yours is settling in grandly. She seeks you out and interacts, so it may not be necessary to get a 2nd bun.

You are right to be cautious in offering new greens. You can try any number of new greens (list at link below) but the key is to try just one type at a time and only a small amount to start. Try a bit. If she likes it, give her more of the same each day for the next several days. If her poos don't change, then she's good to go with that particular green. Do that with each new intro. https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

Thank you so much for the links! I’m definitely going to look into it! She is about 4 pounds. And I’ll definitely look into wood pellets! Yeah I find with yesterday’s news is that I still smell order a bit I’m not sure if it’s the hay or the litter because I do clean it every other day or two days. So far I have introduced her to cilantro and mint and she seems to do perfectly fine with it I do monitor her poop and it’s fine. How much pellets should I give her since she is four pounds? I was thinking of not feeding her pellets anymore because I read it’s best to just feed vegetables hay and some treat but only occasionally.

How often should I clean her cage?

So far I have introduced her to cilantro and mint and she seems to do perfectly fine with it I do monitor her poop and it’s fine. How much pellets should I give her since she is four pounds? I was thinking of not feeding her pellets anymore because I read it’s best to just feed vegetables hay and some treat but only occasionally.

Cilantro and mint are great choices! They are safe to feed every day. That link given earlier lists more choices safe for every day (and a different list for those greens that are safe if fed less often). I grow mint in a few pots since it grows so easily.

As for pellet amount, if she's right around 4 lbs, she can go either way. I would think around 1/4 cup would be enough. I'm going to quote a kind of lengthy section from House Rabbit Society's site that explains more succinctly the balance between pellets, greens, etc.

Because of several potential problems associated with pellets, some veterinarians now recommend that pellets be not only rationed, but rationed quite severely. Instead of giving the rabbit all she can eat in a day, a night, or a few hours, we have been considering the following amounts as maximums (Brown 1994):

5-7 lb of body wt. 1/4 cup daily

8-10 lb body wt. 1/2 cup daily

11-15 lb of body wt. 3/4 cup daily

There is evidence that small breeds (under 2 lbs) may require a diet higher in energy and lower in fiber than the larger breeds (Cheeke 1987, 324). Several foster homes have experienced digestive problems in rabbits under 4 lbs who were put on severely restricted diets.

Once pellets have been reduced, it is equally important to make sure that fresh grass hay is available to the rabbit at all times, and that fresh vegetables be given in larger amounts than has previously been recommended (up to 2-4 cups a day). Actually, because of the problems usually associated with the overfeeding of pellets, some rabbits do better if they receive no pellets at all. Instead, they eat several cups of fresh veggies a day and all the grass hay they want. Other rabbits still eat pellets, but receive significantly less than the above amounts, with a corresponding increase in the amount of vegetables offered.
https://rabbit.org/natural-nutrition-part-ii-pellets-and-veggies-2/

How often should I clean her cage?

General rule of thumb is... if you can smell it, it's time to clean it. How often can vary depending on how the litter box is setup and how it is maintained. The way I have things set up, with just one rabbit (currently), I can go a week before the litter box starts to emit odor. The reason I can go so long is because fresh hay is put on top every morning and evening. This link explains in detail with photos:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/odor-free-home.html

On a totally separate note, I'd love to see more photos of your rabbit. She looks so stinkin adorable!

Cilantro and mint are great choices! They are safe to feed every day. That link given earlier lists more choices safe for every day (and a different list for those greens that are safe if fed less often). I grow mint in a few pots since it grows so easily.

As for pellet amount, if she's right around 4 lbs, she can go either way. I would think around 1/4 cup would be enough. I'm going to quote a kind of lengthy section from House Rabbit Society's site that explains more succinctly the balance between pellets, greens, etc.

Because of several potential problems associated with pellets, some veterinarians now recommend that pellets be not only rationed, but rationed quite severely. Instead of giving the rabbit all she can eat in a day, a night, or a few hours, we have been considering the following amounts as maximums (Brown 1994):

There is evidence that small breeds (under 2 lbs) may require a diet higher in energy and lower in fiber than the larger breeds (Cheeke 1987, 324). Several foster homes have experienced digestive problems in rabbits under 4 lbs who were put on severely restricted diets.

Once pellets have been reduced, it is equally important to make sure that fresh grass hay is available to the rabbit at all times, and that fresh vegetables be given in larger amounts than has previously been recommended (up to 2-4 cups a day). Actually, because of the problems usually associated with the overfeeding of pellets, some rabbits do better if they receive no pellets at all. Instead, they eat several cups of fresh veggies a day and all the grass hay they want. Other rabbits still eat pellets, but receive significantly less than the above amounts, with a corresponding increase in the amount of vegetables offered.

General rule of thumb is... if you can smell it, it's time to clean it. How often can vary depending on how the litter box is setup and how it is maintained. The way I have things set up, with just one rabbit (currently), I can go a week before the litter box starts to emit odor. The reason I can go so long is because fresh hay is put on top every morning and evening. This link explains in detail with photos:

On a totally separate note, I'd love to see more photos of your rabbit. She looks so stinkin adorable!
Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate it blue and id love to show you picture s of my baby girl:)

Attachments

• 33D8EE7D-F0A7-4860-9871-BB5B26FEE535.jpeg
    33D8EE7D-F0A7-4860-9871-BB5B26FEE535.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 4

I also put fresh hair in he rlitter box morning and night and so far it doesn’t stink she’s pretty messy because she will sit in her litter box and eat from her hay rack but I think she sometimes prefer if to eat outside of it so it does get messy but I’m okay with it she keeps me on my feet:) oh and guess what! She slept in the hidey house I made her lay night so cute!

Attachments

• B8B6C9A0-8388-440C-9E44-BE0FE2DECE61.jpeg
    B8B6C9A0-8388-440C-9E44-BE0FE2DECE61.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 4

I normally feed her about 1/2 cups of pellets because I don’t want to over feed her should I just feed her 1/4 I always feed it to her once in the morning. She also likes calming music those 1 hour rabbit calming music she always flops and falls asleep to:)

I just read your info about litter box set up and that’s what I’ve been doing all along! Lol I always add in hay every 2-3 times a day for Peneloppy. Also I was thinking about getting this snuggle bun from Etsy for her. Also when should I groom and trim her nails? And how often? Once a month ?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/779603...he-dream-rabbit?ref=shop_home_active_11&crt=1

Latest posts

Back