Bunny thumping at new one!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzsslouise

Reaction score
ello!

I have two bunnies (honey) is a female determined by vets. We recently got her a bunny friend who we also thought was female but we are now having second thoughts. (Bonbon)

ever since we got bonbon we have kept them in two cages apart from eachother but in view of eachother. Honey has recently started pulling fur out and making a nest looking thing but they’ve never been together to mate and we thought bonbon was female.

honey has also started making guinie pig honking sort of noises and thumping a lot when she is in the cage but she is fine when we take her out multiple times a day..

does anyone know what this might be because? Is she stressed and how do I fix it? Or is bonbon maybe a boy and she is making mating calls?

Hi. We need a bit more information here.
How old are your rabbits and how long you have them, are they fixed and how long ago if so.
How many days between they met and Honey started pulling fur

Hello! Welcome to the forum! Another question is how close are the cages? Rabbits can mate through cage bars so there is a chance she is pregnant.

Hi. We need a bit more information here.
How old are your rabbits and how long you have them, are they fixed and how long ago if so.
How many days between they met and Honey started pulling fur

Honey is 9 months and bonbon is only 11 weeks.

neither are spayed yet

and about two weeks but the fur pulling only happened yesterday

So Honey is having a false pregnancy then.
It is possible that Bonbon is a male, you can check it yourself, at 11 week if it's a boy you will be able to see testicles. But maybe Honey just reacts to a new rabbit and being territorial.
False pregnancy usually starts on day 17 after she was impressed by meeting a male (usually) or just upset and it will last a couple days then she will stop nesting and maybe thumping, but there's just something between them that strsses her I imagine.

Hi, I dont know how to start my own forum but I wondered if someone could give me some advice...
I have two female bunnies, had them for two weeks. They had been fine for the first week or so but my rex started getting hormonal. That calmed after a few days but now our lionhead keeps pulling fur out of the rex. I believe it could be down to dominance and hormones. We separate them now for the majority of the day and get them together for a few hours in the evening (due to the rex now having war wounds). No they are not spayed yet as too young, they are booked in for the 4th &5th. They seem to have bonded but I'm not sure if they have decided who is boss yet. They can eat from the same bowl, lay next to each other, but then the lionhead will go for the other one for no reason. No I didn't slow bond them, they are from the same pen. Where as the rex has boned very well with us and the lionhead hasn't quite got there yet. The rex is always asking to be groomed by the other, we thought that was being submissive but is that to assert dominance? We believe the Lionhead will be the dominate one. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right, new to bunnies. I have pictures of them 3 minutes ago...Snapchat-817513557.jpg

Hello Chisuna!
You might get more responses if you do post a thread, I showed some pictures below. I bet some other members can help!

To post a thread, go to Forums. (It is circled in purple in the picture)
1590006107866.png
Then, go to the category you want to post in. After you are in the desired category, click "Post Thread" it is circled in pink. 1590006317020.png Then you can just type what you want it to say :D

Latest posts

Back