Bunny Teenage Rebellion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channahs

Reaction score
Wow! Barry is really being a little cuss tonight! He's into everything that I don't want him to be in, and I'm pretty sure that he knows it. This has been going on pretty much all day long.

I've blocked off his access to go behind my desk. It's a snake pit of wires back there and he's not allowed. He's being extremely persistent about getting back there which hasn't been the norm. No to him today means "Ha, you watch me!" He got in trouble with the man slave for this (honey, please don't yell at my rabbit) and finally gave up.

I've blocked off access behind the TV in the living room with a makeshift bunny barricade. Again with the persistence. No means hahaha whee boing crash bang oops runs hide! He got a time out in his room after that, he protested by rattling the gate non-stop. There are two doors in his room (two gates). I opened the back gate that goes into the office to let him out (after a good time out) thinking that he would be distracted from the living room and behind the TV, he ran to the other door and started rattling that gate. He insisted that both of them be open.

Then he went back to the living room and began doing his bunny 500 behind the sofa. He has never taken any interest in cords. He's snipped one phone charger in his entire six months of age, but tonight he seemed to be entertained to not chew the cord, but to pull the plug out of the wall. He did this three times each time being told no no no and picking him up and removing him to which he immediately returned.

When I pick him up and scold him (gently). He tucks his face into my arm and looks hilariously ashamed. Now I know that a lot of people tend to humanize their pets, I'm not immune to doing this myself, but I swear scout's honor that this is rebellion. He picks on the cat too. Where ever she's sleeping, he'll find her and nose bonk her, then jump up on her and she runs away. Like a little 8 year old boy he is! He's back in his room now. Time out. He's going to bed early, both gates closed. I gave him a big handful of lavender in hopes to chill him out.

P.S. Yes, he gets plenty of exercise. We go outside at least once per day for a binky 500 fest. It's only been 2 weeks since his neuter so those have been limited to just recently though. He's just been so very mischievous today!

Who else has a cheeky bun?

Sounds like you have your hands full! One possibility for the behavior is that they can sometimes get a surge of hormones post neuter, as the whole hormone thing is wearing off. Hopefully he doesn't drive you crazy until that happens. Then again, sometimes it is just them coming into their adult personality.... so you could be in it for the long haul. Years of being outsmarted by a little bunny, and having to find ways to outsmart him. Good thing we love them :) Yes. Been through this many times... and they always seem to win in the end :p

It's been over a year since Merlin's neuter and he's still a little rotter. I would even say settled adult Merlin is more of a rebellious troublemaker than horny teenage Merlin was. I could still pick teenage Merlin up with no drama. Good ol days. Like you said Jen, good thing we love them anyways!

Hopefully Barry's just going through a stage and doesn't turn out quite as naughty. :p

Oh but this little stinker is very loved and spoiled. Hopefully though this is a surge. I would say that today has been my biggest challenge with him. As naughty as he has been today, he's cute enough to get away with it. Mid scold he'll lick my nose or my chin LOL and I'm done. His sweetness more than makes up for it all. Looks like I'll be bunny proofing hard core tomorrow.

...annnnd he was waiting at the gate this morning to be let out only to run straight back to Mr. Plug. His little mind is on replay. BUT this morning I gave him no audience. I removed the plug and let him go at it. Well that was no fun, so he tried going behind the TV only to find that I had blocked it up good after putting him in his room last night. He's already tried getting behind the desk, but with me sitting at it, that's a no go. Now he's laying down in his room like a good boy.

Latest posts

Back