Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is also a chance that he is just a dominant bunny. It seems that he is just adjusting though, he could also be letting her know that he's in in charge... But it doesn't seem like that's likely I think he's still adjusting and is a bit dominant. Like Zuppa said are you sure that he's neutered?
I think he thinks he’s the dominant bunny, but she shows no sign that she thinks he is. It’s almost like she’s just indifferent the whole thing. She’ll happily clean him and be cleaned by him but I don’t think she wants to be dominant or submissive, she just wants to exist happily haha.
I guess we’re not completely 100% sure he’s been fixed, but he came from a reliable rescue who said they had both done. Is there any way of checking for sure without booking a vet appointment?

He came from a reliable rescue who had them both done. How can we be sure? Is there a way of easily checking without going to the vets?
You can just flip him over and check if he still has testicles. But act fast as some intact rabbits manage to retract them quickly. If he's neutered you might be able to see incision marks, well, depending on how long ago he had his surgery.

If he is really neutered he should stop spraying/humping after 2 months after surgery, but as I said in my previous comment my neutered rabbit was still spraying/humping after 2 months when I started bonding so he just needed more time, after 3 months he is acting as neutered bunny and they are all happy now.

As you said he was neutered more than 6 months ago and you adopted him 2,5 months ago so only other thing I can think of is maybe he was neutered just before you adopted him ad still needs more time to calm down.

Can you contact your rescue and ask for exact date when he was neutered, maybe there was just some sort of misunderstanding or something.

If he is really neutered more than 6 months ago I have no more ideas tbh, maybe other members had similar experience and can help

time is key- I don't know who said that!
just give him a few weeks, they will be wet weeks but see if time helps. I know it is a mess, but try to help him figure out his box. good luck!

Wow. It's very unusual for a male rabbit to spray 6 months after being neutered. Your bunny must have powerful adrenal glands (that's the other location which can manufacture testosterone). Hopefully it'll settle out eventually. Could take a year or so though.

So, update for everyone! We took the buns to our rabbit savvy vet the other day to get their jabs and while we were there we asked if the vet would mind checking out Meeko's bits (we explained the behaviour). We were very surprised to find that Meeko has two healthy fully functioning testicles 😂 thanks for all your advice. Once things have died down with the Coronavirus we're going to take him in to have the operation. We contacted the rescue who were also very surprised, they are going to get in contact with their vet so hopefully we can get it reimbursed. It is very likely that as there was a big litter of 10 that were taken in at the same time that he was just accidentally missed, because all the others have been done. Just thought I would update you all!

So, update for everyone! We took the buns to our rabbit savvy vet the other day to get their jabs and while we were there we asked if the vet would mind checking out Meeko's bits (we explained the behaviour). We were very surprised to find that Meeko has two healthy fully functioning testicles 😂 thanks for all your advice. Once things have died down with the Coronavirus we're going to take him in to have the operation. We contacted the rescue who were also very surprised, they are going to get in contact with their vet so hopefully we can get it reimbursed. It is very likely that as there was a big litter of 10 that were taken in at the same time that he was just accidentally missed, because all the others have been done. Just thought I would update you all!
Glad the mystery has been solved!

Lucky bastard so he thought he escaped 🙃

Latest posts

Back