Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyjp27

Reaction score
We have two dwarf bunnies that are now a year old and were both neutered/spayed when they were 4-5 months old. One is male and one is female and they are bonded with each other. However, the little boy keeps flicking his wee everywhere and we don't know what to do. He has covered her and us multiple times and most days when we come down in the morning the floor and the blankets are covered in splashes. He seems to do it when there is something he is annoyed at like her being in the way for example. He also occasionally chases her around and honks at her and tries to hump her, but she just usually runs away until he stops. It seems that if the slightest thing annoys him in any way then he honks a bit and flicks his pee. She is a little angel though and never does anything like this.
Is there any way we can get him to stop this behaviour? It's been months since he was fixed and everything we've read seems to indicate this should no longer be a problem. She
Thanks!

Is he litter trained? If you litter train them both it might help. This is the link on litter training that I used for Theo: https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html.
Hi there, yes sorry forgot to mention, they are both litter trained. 98% of their poops they do are in their litter tray (obviously get a few rogue ones haha) and the proper puddle pees are done in the litter box too. We never find puddles anywhere, it’s literally just small splashes.

Is he flicking the pee out of the litter box? Or is he spraying you and her?

Is he flicking the pee out of the litter box? Or is he spraying you and her?
He does both. Don't get me wrong he can be a really lovely bunny and he comes over for treats and things, but he still seems to just be honking and humping her and flicking pee. He's lived here for 2 and a half months now though and has only ever been in that room with her so I can't imagine he needs to mark his territory any more. We used to have another bunny for about a year but sadly he died in December, the room was thoroughly cleaned several times after but could he potentially still be smelling the other bunny's scent? It's still unclear who is the dominant as he seems to think its him but she is just not bothered about being dominant or submissive, she just wants to live happily.

I would separate them and see if it stops. After those 2 weeks, I would rebond them. Here is a link and video on bonding: https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html.

The thing is that they are bonded already. They snuggle with each other and clean each other most of the time. If he runs over to her though she runs away because she thinks he's going to hump, but if she goes to him then its all fine and they are okay. When he gets pissed off though that is when he seems to flick the wee.

If she is not submitting then it may become an issue later on. If neither of them is becoming the dominant one and the submissive one this bond will eventually break. I understand if you don't want to split them up. Your other option would be to spray him with a spray bottle or push him off every time he humps her and to soak all of the pee up with a paper towel and put it in the litter box. After you soak up the pee clean it up with vinegar to disinfect the area. If he sprays her I would clean her off with a damp washcloth. Do not bathe her!
Male rabbits will sometimes spray you and other rabbits as a sign of affection. It normally stops after getting them neutered, but may not.

Last edited:
Another thing is he could just be in his territorial stage, which can happen as they get older. Just give them a little time and then separate them if it doesn't stop. Good luck though!

Another thing is he could just be in his territorial stage, which can happen as they get older. Just give them a little time and then separate them if it doesn't stop. Good luck though!
They are already a year old so he has already gone through the territorial stage.

We have two dwarf bunnies that are now a year old and were both neutered/spayed when they were 4-5 months old. One is male and one is female and they are bonded with each other. However, the little boy keeps flicking his wee everywhere and we don't know what to do. He has covered her and us multiple times and most days when we come down in the morning the floor and the blankets are covered in splashes. He seems to do it when there is something he is annoyed at like her being in the way for example. He also occasionally chases her around and honks at her and tries to hump her, but she just usually runs away until he stops. It seems that if the slightest thing annoys him in any way then he honks a bit and flicks his pee. She is a little angel though and never does anything like this.
Is there any way we can get him to stop this behaviour? It's been months since he was fixed and everything we've read seems to indicate this should no longer be a problem. She
Thanks!
Hi, they are one year old and fixed more than 6 months ago, they are perfectly litter trained and bonded but he still sprays her and walls.

May I ask how long do you have them and when that spraying started? I wouldn't recommend separating them if they are already bonded.

I have a mini lop neutered male about 7,5 months old he was bonded with intact female same age and I started bonding after 2,5 months after his neutering but he still kept spraying and humping her and walls. She didn't pay attention at all, now he stopped spraying her and walls I don't see any marks and he stopped humping as well, they are perfectly settled, groom each other and no humping or biting at all.

This was a mystery for me as I thought he shouldn't hump and spray her since he was neutered more than 2 months ago when they met. I am so very happy he stopped.

From your description I can only think that if they are relatively new to each other or their circumstances changed recently, like their place, maybe toys something smells like another rabbit or just strange to them. Why would he feel need marking it all

Hi, they are one year old and fixed more than 6 months ago, they are perfectly litter trained and bonded but he still sprays her and walls.

May I ask how long do you have them and when that spraying started? I wouldn't recommend separating them if they are already bonded.

I have a mini lop neutered male about 7,5 months old he was bonded with intact female same age and I started bonding after 2,5 months after his neutering but he still kept spraying and humping her and walls. She didn't pay attention at all, now he stopped spraying her and walls I don't see any marks and he stopped humping as well, they are perfectly settled, groom each other and no humping or biting at all.

This was a mystery for me as I thought he shouldn't hump and spray her since he was neutered more than 2 months ago when they met. I am so very happy he stopped.

From your description I can only think that if they are relatively new to each other or their circumstances changed recently, like their place, maybe toys something smells like another rabbit or just strange to them. Why would he feel need marking it all
Hi, we have had them for nearly 3 months now. Before that they were together in the rescue from since they were born, but they were in a pen with all their brothers and sisters and their mum too. Since we adopted them he has been spraying and chinning everything and he still does it. He has only ever been in that room with her so I can't imagine he needs to mark his territory any more. We used to have another bunny for about a year but sadly he died in December a few weeks before we got these. The room was thoroughly cleaned several times after but could he potentially still be smelling the other bunny's scent? I feel like it's been long enough now since we've had them that they should have settled down.

There is also a chance that he is just a dominant bunny. It seems that he is just adjusting though, he could also be letting her know that he's in in charge... But it doesn't seem like that's likely I think he's still adjusting and is a bit dominant. Like Zuppa said are you sure that he's neutered?

Well, on the bright side, spraying prevents sludge to settle in the bladder, it's a healthy thing to do ;) (I have an intact buck, since he got his spayed cuddlebun I know your pain :) )

Have you ever checked if he's really neutered?
He came from a reliable rescue who had them both done. How can we be sure? Is there a way of easily checking without going to the vets?

Well, on the bright side, spraying prevents sludge to settle in the bladder, it's a healthy thing to do ;) (I have an intact buck, since he got his spayed cuddlebun I know your pain :) )
Haha thanks for the positivity! It’d still be nice to know we can let him into another room without him ruining the walls though

Latest posts

Back