bunny stays in cage all the time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hey guys i had my bunny for a month now and as I said before every day she does something new so I don’t really know what’s normal for her and what’s not. But she used to get very excited to get out of the cage and she would run like crazy and binkies all the time. Now.. she eats well and everything, but when I open the cage she doesn’t get out immediately, and when she does she just walks behind me, bite my slippers, or tease me and as soon as i chase her she sticks her head to the floor and wants to be petted or scratched all the time. and every 5 minutes she would go back to her cage, She doesn’t look sick, she just doesn’t play around, and binkies maybe once a day which is kind of unusual for what i saw the first two weeks. the only way for me to let her exercise is to hold a lettuce in my hand and run so she could chase me, or hold the brush and chase her. Is it normal for bunnies to do that or could she be sick?

Rabbits do spend a lot of time just lounging and relaxing. If she binkies, she's doing just fine. It sounds like she likes to be around you which is a big plus (don't think that all rabbits follow their humans around!).

If she's lounging in her cage when the cage door is open, that's perfectly normal. She must be quite comfortable in her place. Mine often do that even though their cage door is open all day long.

I would not encourage you to chase her with the brush. She'll move around if and when she feels like it. No need to be trying to make her exercise. Just provide plenty of opportunities for her to hop about so she can do so when she happens to be in the mood.

Rabbits do spend a lot of time just lounging and relaxing. If she binkies, she's doing just fine. It sounds like she likes to be around you which is a big plus (don't think that all rabbits follow their humans around!).

If she's lounging in her cage when the cage door is open, that's perfectly normal. She must be quite comfortable in her place. Mine often do that even though their cage door is open all day long.

I would not encourage you to chase her with the brush. She'll move around if and when she feels like it. No need to be trying to make her exercise. Just provide plenty of opportunities for her to hop about so she can do so when she happens to be in the mood.
Now she is jumping on top of the cage and then she gets scared and can’t go down 😭

Now she is jumping on top of the cage and then she gets scared and can’t go down 😭
Maybe provide a non slip step or sturdy box she can jump down to first, so it's not as high a jump for her from the top of the cage.

It's pretty normal for rabbits to be really active and excited when they first get to know and explore a new area. But as they get used to it and know their way around, they will usually settle down and not run and play quite as much as they did at the start.

Latest posts

Back