Bunny spilling hay!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I suggested the shelves is because they come in long lengths that could span from one end of the pen to another. Here's a photo of them. The 2nd photo shows the shorter pieces zip-tied together for when I was making my cage, but you would zip tie whole lengths together. People use them for lids on C&C guinea pig cages. The zip tie also can work as a hinge.
It's just an idea and you'd have to see if it could work safely.

Attachments

• 108_6200.JPG
    108_6200.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 108_6203.JPG
    108_6203.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 3
That looks great! Thanks for the advice! Is 8-9 foot length width and height good for a rabbit shed? It’s just for my ten month old mini Rex. With a attached 5-6 foot length and width (maybe 3 foot height?) the insides will look like this. Below is a terrible sketch made by me.
upload_2019-5-15_6-41-51.jpegupload_2019-5-15_6-42-9.jpeg

Pick up some Nic grids, use the zip ties to keep them together. they come with zip ties, you can buy better, thicker,longer ones at the dollar store.

Then zip tie half to the pen and use Velcro strips or s-clips to secure the other end...I can't send pics now but that is what I did with my cages for the buns that can jump out during the day when I am not home.

Nix cubes are not too expensive you can get them at Walmart/Target...you can set them up to easily open and also if you layer the grid so you have them overlapping by one row/column it will be more secure but be careful that you can still open the top to reach in. I will try to send pics later when I am at home...

Some chicken coops can work with some modifications. The following is pretty cheap ($199) but is just 24 sq ft of floor space. Not ideal but much more room than bunny currently has. The photo shows a drop down door on the left side. Not sure how difficult it would be to clean out either? Larger would be better. But this is a possibility and you could still add an ex-pen to it for when you're home.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/innovation-pet-chicken-homestead-coop-222-87
upload_2019-5-15_13-44-10.png
This blue one looks like it would have a larger floor space - maybe 34 sq ft (but not positive because it may count the overhangs). It's $499. (it looks so cute to me with the window boxes)
https://www.amazon.com/Flyline-Gard...en+cage&qid=1557953873&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spell
51nx753m5VL.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-15_13-43-29.png
    upload_2019-5-15_13-43-29.png
    687 KB · Views: 3
Yes, that looks great but I am already making a diy shed over the summer. Until I find a good roof I need something current. When I came home, my little bun was trying to open his cage door. I’m looking in the garage, and all we have is a old dog crate, cardboard amazon prime boxes, a metal oven rack, blankets, buckets, styrofoam, ... Idk if I can find anything useful for my bun until the summer. I want to give him a alternative.

Every Day:

Two-3 stalks of celery, some leaves of kale,

Sometimes:
strawberries, bananas, carrots

I'm not sure I'm understanding where your thoughts are now but if you want to still use his current hutch and be able to give him more secure room to run, you could basically make a wood and wire box run and put the hutch inside of it, so he can use that as a retreat any time, basically like your current setup but maybe bigger and with a roof so he can have access to the run all the time. This particular item probably wouldn't work, as it's meant to go with a different coop and is open on one end but I like the pictures and think it shows a decent amount of detail on how one could make their own and be able to adjust the size of it to fit their space. The wood, hardware and chicken wire shouldn't cost a great deal, I wouldn't think.

https://smile.amazon.com/Aspen-Pet-...8&s=gateway&sprefix=chicken+ru,aps,257&sr=8-3

Yeah, I just talked to my friend who co-owns the animal rescue I bought my bunny friend, and she will help me raise money to buy a good quality cage for my bun. For now, I don't want to buy anything other than a cheap affordable extension (25-30 dollars possibly). Will probably get the one Blue Eyes sent me (Thank You So Much)

Um the rabbit cage reviews say its not predator proof? Anyone have a GOOD hutch if they would like to send me the link?

Um the rabbit cage reviews say its not predator proof? Anyone have a GOOD hutch if they would like to send me the link?
Which cage?

Anything that doesn't have a solid floor would have to state that it is not predator proof. If it is on grass, predators (and the rabbit) can dig under. If it is on concrete, then it is safe.

The one on the chicken site. I can keep him on the concrete. It has so many doors I'm afraid I will forget to lock them... any other ideas? I've been searching Amazon...

The more doors it has, the easier access for getting to bunny or for cleaning. Just make a mental rule for yourself that you only ever open one door at a time and latch it before opening another.

Can I like lock some of the doors with a lock? One time I left the door open, but luckily he had his x pen around his pen...
I bunny proofed his x pen door with paper clips so you can't unlock it at all. I keep the door behind his cage anyways. Better safe than sorry.

I found a new way to get exercise for both of us! I run to one side of his pen and he runs after me. I later reward him with some garden kale!

I found a new way to get exercise for both of us! I run to one side of his pen and he runs after me. I later reward him with some garden kale!

That's nice. Remember though that your pen only has about 5 feet across at its widest point. A rabbit can't get up to speed in that small a distance. Even in a whole room, a rabbit can barely get really moving. I'm attaching a video of my rabbits from a while ago. Aside from binkies, it also shows some bunny dashes (sometimes known as the "bunny 500"). About 12 seconds in you'll see the white & gray rabbit dash about (I had a hard time having the camera keep up). Then you'll also see the brownish one take a few short dashes. Even the short dashes require over 10' of space.

When you see the video, I think you'll see that even with all the space the rabbits have there, it sure looks like they could make use of even more space if they had it. :)

I really wish I could bring my bunny inside but my parents believe bunnies smell, our dog would try to kill him, our landlord won’t except pets....
There is a shoe closet room we have that I guess I could convert into a nice room for him but it has no light and the landlord......... grrrr
Anyways, I’m still searching for bunny cages that are 200 dollars. I’m selling my old computer, having a garage sale, lemonade stands, dog sitting, and saving up for a bunny cage. We have a old dresser that I guess we could convert to a bunny hutch but it is dusty and has been sitting in the garage for years.

Yes. I see you are working hard for your rabbit. :)

I didn't show the video because it shows rabbits indoors. Just wanted you to get an idea of how fast they can zoom if given lots of space. ;)

That's a cool litterbox! Do you cut it out with an xacto knife and sand down the edges or what's the process?

Latest posts

Back