Bunny Spay Recovery Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Both of my bunnies were spayed yesterday. One procedure was apparently more difficult than the other (something about the size/ position of her uterus). Both bunnies were kept overnight and I picked them up today. They look terrible (especially BunBun who had the more difficult surgery). The vet tech said she had a very difficult time with BunBun this morning (feeding/ meds, etc) and showed me how she had to trap her in a towel to feed her and wished me luck (with a look on her face that did not instill confidence)…. My bunnies have always been together since we got them as babies. I was surprised to learn that they weren’t kept together at the vet. They seemed happy to be together in the carrier on the way home (well, they didn’t look happy, but Brownie was grooming BunBun, which I hope brought her some comfort)…. The vet tech told me to keep them separated so I could keep track of which one was eating/ pooping - which makes sense, except that poor BunBun looks so depressed. Right now I have them set up in a big bathroom for the recovery period (vet said not to give them too much space); I have a fence set up between them.
Questions:
1. Do you think it’s ok to take the fence away during the day so they can be together?
2. Does this space look too big or too small? I’d like to add some toys/ hide-aways (vet tech said not to put anything out they could jump on.
3. BunBun doesn’t look well and it sounds like she’s chewing on rocks (which I assume means she’s grinding her teeth in pain). Her next pain meds dose is in two hours (but she’s been home and in pain for a few hours already). They were prescribed pain meds every 12hrs (maybe BunBun needs more)? Is it typical to look and act so poorly after a spay?

I actually feel terrible for putting them both through this.

Attachments

• 1A5170EA-8DAD-4A1E-997A-F35FD3D08BBD.jpeg
    1A5170EA-8DAD-4A1E-997A-F35FD3D08BBD.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn't keep them separated. Any vet that suggests this for bonded rabbits, makes me wonder just how experienced they are with rabbits. Separating a bonded pair can cause stress to the rabbits, which can affect their recovery.

Edited to add: I would only ever separate a bonded pair if it would cause definite harm to one of the rabbits to keep them together during recovery(eg. the other rabbit is pestering them or trying to chew at the bun partners incision, etc). Also if it became impossible for me to monitor the struggling rabbits recovery at all, and there was no alternative but to separate so I could properly monitor the this rabbits recovery.

But yes, they do need to be closely monitored, especially your one rabbit that isn't doing as well. Though this will require you sitting and spending a bit of time with them and/or frequently checking on them. I will usually set up a pen in the room where I am in most of the time during the day, so I can closely monitor my rabbits recovery. If you can do this, it's what I would suggest. Provided your rabbits are used to being around you and it doesn't cause more stress to be in an unfamiliar place. If they do get stressed being in an unfamiliar place, it might even be best to put them both back in their own area, and monitor them there.

It shouldn't be too hard to tell which rabbit is eating, and if your one rabbits is starting to recover. A rabbit that is doing well will start being more active and will take food from you when you offer. A rabbit that isn't, will be lethargic and not want to move at all, or very little, and will refuse to eat when you offer their favorite foods.

With the one rabbit that's struggling, it's important to make sure she is staying warm. Rabbits can become hypothermic easily after surgery, and when feeling unwell. And a cold rabbit is less inclined to want to eat. It can also slow their ability to recover from this. I use a cotton bag filled with rice and warmed in the microwave(not too hot), as a warm pack to help warm up a cold rabbit. An easy way for me to check if they're cold is by feeling their ears. If they feel warm, then the rabbit is warm. If the ears feel really cold, the rabbits body temp is likely too low.

If it were me, I would give the pain meds now. What dose was prescribed? Usually you can find this info on the vet bill or the bottle, and by the amount of mls you give.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Last edited:
If surgery was yesterday, both rabbits should be becoming more active and eating on their own by now. Sometimes it can take one more day, but if by tomorrow both rabbits aren't eating some on their own, and acting much better, I for sure would be concerned that something has gone wrong, especially with your one bun. I would then bring the rabbit(s) back to the vet right away. Or sooner if you notice any decline before then.

You just want to restrict their space enough that they don't have enough space to run around quickly or hop up on anything. I will usually have a 2x3 or 3x3 space set up initially, then maybe give a bit more room after the first day or two, but still not too much more.

I wouldn't keep them separated. Any vet that suggests this for bonded rabbits, makes me wonder just how experienced they are with rabbits. Separating a bonded pair can cause stress to the rabbits, which can affect their recovery.

Edited to add: I would only ever separate a bonded pair if it would cause definite harm to one of the rabbits to keep them together during recovery(eg. the other rabbit is pestering them or trying to chew at the bun partners incision, etc). Also if it became impossible for me to monitor the struggling rabbits recovery at all, and there was no alternative but to separate so I could properly monitor the this rabbits recovery.

But yes, they do need to be closely monitored, especially your one rabbit that isn't doing as well. Though this will require you sitting and spending a bit of time with them and/or frequently checking on them. I will usually set up a pen in the room where I am in most of the time during the day, so I can closely monitor my rabbits recovery. If you can do this, it's what I would suggest. Provided your rabbits are used to being around you and it doesn't cause more stress to be in an unfamiliar place. If they do get stressed being in an unfamiliar place, it might even be best to put them both back in their own area, and monitor them there.

It shouldn't be too hard to tell which rabbit is eating, and if your one rabbits is starting to recover. A rabbit that is doing well will start being more active and will take food from you when you offer. A rabbit that isn't, will be lethargic and not want to move at all, or very little, and will refuse to eat when you offer their favorite foods.

With the one rabbit that's struggling, it's important to make sure she is staying warm. Rabbits can become hypothermic easily after surgery, and when feeling unwell. And a cold rabbit is less inclined to want to eat. It can also slow their ability to recover from this. I use a cotton bag filled with rice and warmed in the microwave(not too hot), as a warm pack to help warm up a cold rabbit. An easy way for me to check if they're cold is by feeling their ears. If they feel warm, then the rabbit is warm. If the ears feel really cold, the rabbits body temp is likely too low.

If it were me, I would give the pain meds now. What dose was prescribed? Usually you can find this info on the vet bill or the bottle, and by the amount of mls you give.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html
THANK YOU so much for all the info!! I took down the fence that was separating them so they could be together.

For pain meds, they were prescribed Meloxidyl; BunBun (who weighs 4.54lbs) was prescribed .65ml every 12 hours.

I was able to syringe feed Brownie and give her meds (and she’s doing very well)…. But it’s been a horrible experience trying to feed and give BunBun meds. I was eventually able to give her dose of meds last night and this morning (but only got a fraction of the syringe food in her)… She’s really difficult to handle. She has eaten some hay and greens on her own today, so hopefully she’s starting to feel a bit better.

I’m going to search for more tips on how to handle a bunny who hates to be picked up. BunBun was always super friendly and would hop right over loved to be pet, but she’s always HATED to be picked up. Trying to syringe feed her has been a nightmare.

Thanks again for all of the info!

If she's starting to eat hay and greens, I would just keep encouraging that by offering her some more every hour or few hours. I had one bun that wouldn't eat hardly at all after his neuter. He wasn't in pain(was on enough pain meds), as he would hop around as usual, just would barely eat. All he would eat was a little bit of leafy greens each time I offered. So I just kept offering his usual greens every half hour to an hour. Combined, it ended up being enough that I felt comfortable not stressing him with syringe feeds. This lasted 48 hours, til he finally started eating hay and more normally again. All I could figure was the anesthesia made him nauseous.

It sounds like your bun is getting enough meloxicam. That's about 1mg twice a day, which is the recommended amount for a 2kg rabbit. So at least the pain med dosage is good.

If you look at these links below,, they show different ways to administer meds and syringe feed. One method that may work for you, is by kneeling on the floor with the bun between your legs while kneeling. It's a good way to do it so that you don't have to pick up your rabbit. It's an especially good method for bigger rabbits.

Medirabbit: restraining for medication

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Medicating_your_rabbit

If she's starting to eat hay and greens, I would just keep encouraging that by offering her some more every hour or few hours. I had one bun that wouldn't eat hardly at all after his neuter. He wasn't in pain(was on enough pain meds), as he would hop around as usual, just would barely eat. All he would eat was a little bit of leafy greens each time I offered. So I just kept offering his usual greens every half hour to an hour. Combined, it ended up being enough that I felt comfortable not stressing him with syringe feeds. This lasted 48 hours, til he finally started eating hay and more normally again. All I could figure was the anesthesia made him nauseous. It sounds like your bun is getting enough meloxicam. That's about 1mg twice a day, which is the recommended amount for a 2kg rabbit. So at least the pain med dosage is good. If you look at these links below,, they show different ways to administer meds and syringe feed. One method that may work for you, is by kneeling on the floor with the bun between your legs while kneeling. It's a good way to do it so that you don't have to pick up your rabbit. It's an especially good method for bigger rabbits. Medirabbit: restraining for medication https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Medicating_your_rabbit
If she's starting to eat hay and greens, I would just keep encouraging that by offering her some more every hour or few hours. I had one bun that wouldn't eat hardly at all after his neuter. He wasn't in pain(was on enough pain meds), as he would hop around as usual, just would barely eat. All he would eat was a little bit of leafy greens each time I offered. So I just kept offering his usual greens every half hour to an hour. Combined, it ended up being enough that I felt comfortable not stressing him with syringe feeds. This lasted 48 hours, til he finally started eating hay and more normally again. All I could figure was the anesthesia made him nauseous. It sounds like your bun is getting enough meloxicam. That's about 1mg twice a day, which is the recommended amount for a 2kg rabbit. So at least the pain med dosage is good. If you look at these links below,, they show different ways to administer meds and syringe feed. One method that may work for you, is by kneeling on the floor with the bun between your legs while kneeling. It's a good way to do it so that you don't have to pick up your rabbit. It's an especially good method for bigger rabbits. Medirabbit: restraining for medication https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Medicating_your_rabbit
@JBun - I just wanted to come back here and thank you again for all of the info and advice. It was a very stressful few days and all of your info was very helpful - honestly it was more helpful than the info I got from the animal hospital. BunBun is doing much better. THANK YOU! 🙏

Glad to hear BunBun is doing better, some rabbits recover very quickly after they've been spayed others take a little longer.
When that is said - my advice is to find another vet - they are clearly not able to handle rabbits in a good way. Rabbit are very sensitive and some more than others, meaning they react to the enviroment around them both positive and negative.
It makes sense to separate two rabbit that has just been through surgery - but then again - if they are used to live together they should stay together - this can also help them to a faster recovery - I'm thinking most of BunBun as she seems to be more sensitive than Brownie. You know your bunnies the best and if you are okay having them together you should do that - and of cause keep them monitored, just in case😘

I️ just saw your post, I️ put the pain reliever drops on a small piece of lettuce so it encouraged mine to eat and seemed to work. I’ve also mixed it with water in a syringe and let my girl drink a drop at a time to avoid the stress.

Glad to hear BunBun is doing better, some rabbits recover very quickly after they've been spayed others take a little longer.
When that is said - my advice is to find another vet - they are clearly not able to handle rabbits in a good way. Rabbit are very sensitive and some more than others, meaning they react to the enviroment around them both positive and negative.
It makes sense to separate two rabbit that has just been through surgery - but then again - if they are used to live together they should stay together - this can also help them to a faster recovery - I'm thinking most of BunBun as she seems to be more sensitive than Brownie. You know your bunnies the best and if you are okay having them together you should do that - and of cause keep them monitored, just in case😘
Thank you!!

Another tip I did was to soak / wet the small lettuce (spring mix) so my girl stayed hydrated. But mine ate very little for several days. She had a very tough recovery. Keep them together because they need each other’s support while they heal.

Latest posts

Back