bunny Spay question ???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBuns

Reaction score
I just got home from vet my bunny just got spayed. She’s not doing much she hasn’t ate or drank anything shes just sitting down she did poop a few though what should I do if she’s not eating yet she doesn’t even want her treats?

Don’t worry too much if she isn’t too keen on food just yet. We found veggies worked the best to get ours eating they weren’t keen on pellets or hard foods for a day after surgery and they slowly picked at the veggies over the course of the night which usually would be gone in 5 minutes. If you leave food, water and hay close to wear she has chosen to rest she should hopefully make an attempt to have something. She probably won’t want to have to move around much for the rest of the evening.

Don’t worry too much if she isn’t too keen on food just yet. We found veggies worked the best to get ours eating they weren’t keen on pellets or hard foods for a day after surgery and they slowly picked at the veggies over the course of the night which usually would be gone in 5 minutes. If you leave food, water and hay close to wear she has chosen to rest she should hopefully make an attempt to have something. She probably won’t want to have to move around much for the rest of the evening.
Phew thank you! Did they shave part of your buns neck on the back I thought it was only the belly. They did give her shot for pain that lasts 24 hours u think that’s why they shaved part of it? And they said the shot is good enough that I don’t need to take any medication home too ?

No they didn’t shave the neck but you are probably right it may have been to administer the anaesthetic drug or pain meds. We were sent home with some pain meds for 4 days but it may be the shot they gave yours was different to ours. As long as she is eating and not bothering with the wound then she should be fine. If she stops eating or is picking or licking her wound she may be in discomfort and need more pain relief which you should be able to get from the vet if you let them know.

Our vet didn't give our rabbit any pain killers after surgery, just sent 'em back home. Luckily bun's a spirited fellow and walked a bit just the same evening. Didn't really eat anything except leafy stuff after day one either bjt by day threebwas back to normal. Depends on the bunny of course, ours is bold and nonchalant.

No they didn’t shave the neck but you are probably right it may have been to administer the anaesthetic drug or pain meds. We were sent home with some pain meds for 4 days but it may be the shot they gave yours was different to ours. As long as she is eating and not bothering with the wound then she should be fine. If she stops eating or is picking or licking her wound she may be in discomfort and need more pain relief which you should be able to get from the vet if you let them know.
I going to call in the morning for pain medication. It 2:08 am in the morning over here She’s not moving much she’s been In the same spot in the litter box since we got home moved slowly a few times but that’s it. She barely ate anything to she sipped some water and some pellets (took licks her and there) I smashed up for her with water because she won’t eat hay or veggies. I’m worried for her :| also did you bun do a weird thing with there mouth they like move there jaw to the side and licking there lips like there trying to get something out?

Yeah that’s a good idea if the shot wears off after 24 hours she may become sore. Not sure about the jaw thing but she’s probably still recovering from the anaesthetic so maybe to do with that. We had our two girls done on a Tuesday and one of them was back to normal by the Thursday and the other one took until Friday. It’s perfectly normal that she hasn’t moved much yet it wasn’t until the following evening that I really saw any proper movement. Both our girls had big cardboard boxes and they were hid up in there most of the recovery time so I put the water dish and food all outside the entrance and then put a pile of hay with them inside the box. As you only brought her home yesterday evening she is probably still feeling yucky from the drugs the fact she’s had some some food and water even if just a little is a good sign her appetite should improve more by tomorrow :)

Yeah that’s a good idea if the shot wears off after 24 hours she may become sore. Not sure about the jaw thing but she’s probably still recovering from the anaesthetic so maybe to do with that. We had our two girls done on a Tuesday and one of them was back to normal by the Thursday and the other one took until Friday. It’s perfectly normal that she hasn’t moved much yet it wasn’t until the following evening that I really saw any
proper movement. Both our girls had big cardboard boxes and they were hid up in there most of the recovery time so I put the water dish and food all outside the entrance and then put a pile of hay with them inside the box. As you only brought her home yesterday evening she is probably still feeling yucky from the drugs the fact she’s had some some food and water even if just a little is a good sign her appetite should improve more by tomorrow :)

She start to eat a little bit more again when I got up! She looks like she’s doing better too :) thank you for responding I appreciate it. :)

Latest posts

Back