Bunny spay and neuter concerns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven123

Reaction score
My bunny Skylar is a polish bunny and is 6 months old. Right now I know she is 2 lbs 1oz And she’s very small. I know that around 6 months old is a good time to get your bunny spayed but she’s so small and I am worried about anything happening to her. I have heard that around 6 months they reach their full size. I know that when I got her she was around 2 months old so now she’s about 6 months but very small. I am concerned that because she’s so small she’s not going to do well during the spay process. Does anybody have any advice telling me that she’ll be fine or telling me about certain things I can do to make sure she’ll be ok. I have gotten my other bunny spayed before but she’s a mini lop and is about 5.5 pounds and is much more bigger than Skylar. Please reassure me or give me advice on how to make it a nice and easy spay.

If you choose a rabbit-savvy vet that has lots of experience with spaying rabbits she should be fine. Her small size would only be an issue if they use the same amount of anesthesia that they use for an average size rabbit.
I would call them before scheduling and ask several questions:
1. How often do they spay/neuter rabbits
2. What is the mortality rate of the rabbits they spay/neuter (it should be over 90%)
3. Do they have experience spaying smaller rabbits

As long as you make sure your vet is experienced with rabbits you should be absolutely fine. I’ve had a guinea pig and even a rat successfully operated on in the past and the most likely thing to go wrong is an inexperienced vet over dosing on anaesthetic drugs as they used to larger animals like dogs and cats. Obviously with any operation there is a small risk that the animal could react badly even when everything is done correctly but this applies to all pets and even humans as well.

I have a boy that weight 1 lbs 10 oz, when he was 6 months his weight was 1 lbs 2 oz. So myself waited until he gained more weight until I neutered him. But spaying should be no problem as long you have a good rabbit savy vet.

You can otherwise wait until 7 to 8 months old, because bunnies will fill out until they turn 1 year old. If it will make you feel better and can wait. But most important is a good rabbit vet 😊

Hi, I don't have experience with that particular breed but most of rabbits keep growing after 6 months, I find that dwarf breeds are about their full size at 7-8 months and bigger breeds after 1 year or even 1 year and a half. I've read that Polish are compact size so maybe you are close to full size. I second what was said about finding experienced vet and asking questions. Also ask if your rabbit can eat before the surgery, if they say no food before they don't know rabbits, since rabbits are different than dogs and cats.

Latest posts

Back