Bunny snow day?

Discussion in 'General Rabbit Discussion' started by Morgan Madoka, Jan 14, 2020.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Jan 14, 2020 #1

Morgan Madoka

Morgan Madoka

Morgan Madoka

Hello! So this is the first winter with my bun and I wanted to know if he could play in the snow? He is harness trained and such but I wasn't sure if it would be okay for a short amount of time or should I just bring some in from outside and put it in the bathtub? I just want him to have some fun with the snow while it's here :):p

2. Jan 14, 2020 #2

Catlyn

Catlyn

Catlyn

Is your bun normally inside or outside? How warm or cold is it out there? How often have you taken him outside for walks? Is he in good health?
    If all seems fine with him and he's used to it, if it's not too cold, you can take him outside for a short while.
    When our bun was outdoor, he would often go play outside, even if it was a single day with snow in october. We haven't had proper snow until now, so we're heavily affected by climate change over here. If we do get snow again, i am planning to take our bun out as well, some of my classmates have even taken out their mini buns.
    So i think it is fine to do so.

3. Jan 14, 2020 #3

Niomi

Niomi

Niomi

If the snow is a wet snow, that could pose a problem. If your rabbits gets wet and chilled, they can get deathly ill. When I had outdoor rabbits, I would let them play in the snow as long as it wasn't wet. They would usually choose to go back in their hutch after about 20 minutes.

4. Jan 14, 2020 #4

Morgan Madoka

Morgan Madoka

Morgan Madoka

Thanks for the replies! He is an indoor rabbit. It's pretty packed snow. We live in Wisconsin so we get a good amount of snow each winter! I got him in June so we've been outside each session (of course when it's not too hot) I think I'll bring a little bit of the packed snow inside and put it in a big box and see how he likes it first?

5. Jan 14, 2020 #5

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

Bringing some snow in (maybe in a plastic kiddy pool) would be a great idea. Bet he'd love it.

Morgan Madoka likes this.
  6. Jan 15, 2020 #6

Catlyn

Catlyn

Catlyn

Oh i wish we had snow right now so our bun could play in it as well. But for a single day that we had ´proper´ snow 'round here it was wet too, and he was an outdoor bun then, yet he's still finee, so it's not always deadly, but i agree that it is not recommended.

Draft saved Draft deleted