Bunny smells like unwashed arm pit ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knowa lot of people who say theythink their bunny may be "part wild". They see that agouti coloring andassume its from having a wild bunny parent.

Fishkeeper, I also noticed you said something about letting heroutside. Please make sure she is always in a safe and enclosed area.Wild or not, if she gets loose she will not be capable of taking careof herself. She would most likely end up roadkill or something'sdinner. If you want to take her outside, a lot of members have builtvery safe pens and runs for the bunny.

I really think shes domestic though, I would get her to a vet for a checkup and also get her spayed asap.

PS..Shes very very cute!

I don't think she's wild either. Shelooks just like Gretchen. Gretchen has the agouti coloringand looks just like the wild bunnies in Europe, but she is actually 1/2Dutch and 1/2 rex.

American wild rabbits are smaller and a bit scruffy looking. She's looks way too refined to be wild.

Not to be rude, but I don't think she's acottontail either. She's too big. Clover is tinyand I know for sure she's a cottontail. She was "snagged" bymy sister's dog in her yard where a nest was....... Clover maybe weighs2 pounds and is maybe 2 feet COMPLETELY stretched out. Didyour bunny ever have a white diamond on her forehead? Theyall have that for at least a year.

your bunny looks like a satin mix to me honestly.

In my avatar, you see a green puppy laying next to her - it's the size of a beanie baby.

If you see here, she's with our small guinea pig in a small cage.

katt wrote:
i would guess she is simply a mix breed rabbit, possibly a satin mix?
WOW I just read this and she does doesn't she? I love red satins and she just reminds me of one.

Bo, seeing these posts, I just can't get over what a great job you've done with Clover. :happydance

I tried really hard not to get attached or even emotionally involvedback when you found her and for quite awhile afterwards because thepotential pitfalls were so numerous and frightening -- even for peoplewith experience. Buteverything you've done musthave been so right, it's worked out SO well! She's got such agreat life!:hug1

And Fish? :threadhijacked: Sorry 'boutthat! But enjoy your little bunny. She'sadorable! And no problem getting her spayed, it's healthierin the long run, stinky pit smell or not.

Let us know how it goes!

sas

Thanks PIPP :) I tried not to getattached also and when I brought her in, I told the hubby she wouldn'tlive, but I wanted to make her comfy while she was around.Now, she's spoiled rotten! :DI don't know how we managed tokeep her going, but she had to be a fighter with that place that endedup an abcess and all.

Fish, I'm sorry too that we sorta went off track here, but I reallyhope I've helped by showing you my little baby girl.

Did I mention she came to me the day after Easter last year? I think the Easter Bunny knew I'd love her to pieces no matter! ;)

Your bunny is so pretty! I hope you can get all things workedout. I'd definitely check her scent glands. I betthey need cleaned...... BUT..... thinking of what you say smells - Bosmelled like garlic and onion to me when he would scent his poos on meat his maturity - he loved me and made sure everyone knew it!pEEEEEE uuuuuuUUUUU! He also would nip at me if I ate onion andgarlic! I am sure he thought it was another bunny!

Anyhow, she's probably just reached that age and she's scentingeverything to make sure you know how much she loves you and your home!lol!

This is Clover when she came to me :)

Definitely does not look wild (and is definitelynot a cottontail. WAY too big). Looks like an ordinary mix breed rabbitwith "wild" coloration. Pretty rabbit though!

Also, I seen you mentioned earlier about her being outside sometimesbut not running off "yet". Is she in a secure pen or fenced in yardwhen outside? Make sure she is secured at all times. If she was to everrun off, she would never survive on her own.

I own 3 rabbits (my oldest I've had for over 2 years) and we have alarge fenced in yard. Each time before the bunnies go out to play, theyard is checked over for ANY escape holes, or any possible places theycould escape. If it's bigger than a mouse hole, we secure it for theirsafety.

To be on the safe side, however, I usually walkthem on theirharness inside of the fenced in yard. I put the harness on and let themrun with a 16 foot retractable leash. I'd die if my rabbits everescaped, better to be safe than sorry!

I'm with everyone who thinks this bun is amixed-breed domestic - besides, North American wild rabbits are of adifferent species than our pet buns/European wild rabbits. They couldmate, but can't carry to term, as they don't have the same number ofchromosomes...

I've always liked the agouti coloring, too.

BTW, very pretty rabbit!

I love agouti coloring also, ec! My mini-rex is a castor.

Is there some information link about the breeding issue? The reason Iask is that there seem to be a breed cross group in my area.Could be something I'm not aware we have tho.

I was suprised to see a swamp rabbit! Indiana doesn't reallyhave those unless you get down by the Ohio river.

Yup, definately domestic! The "wild" agouti coloring is common in many domestic breeds.

Bo, I can't look it up because I'm at work, but check the Morfz RabbitReferences website about the domestic/cottontail breedingthing. They can't breed, and aren't even in the same family.

That's interesting. I always thoughtthey had mated with wild ones but I bet they are just domestics thathave gotten out. They really aren't cottontails or swamprabbits.

Well that's good that she is not a wild rabbit. It would be hard to give her to a rehabilitater .I so thought she was a wild rabbit with the tail and all .Well that's ok for we love her any way . Thanks for all ofthe help and hope I can be of some help someday .

Cheers.:bunnydance:

In a way, you're lucky to not have europeanrabbits as your wild rabbits there. Our wild rabbits can and do matewith our domestic rabbits. It's illegal to keep the offspring thoughhow anyone can tell that they aren't just slightly ugly domestics Ihave no idea!

Why is keeping a wild rabbit an illegal thing. I can under stand why keeping a Rattle snake and aWolf etc . But why something like Peter Cotton Tail. LOL:)

Well, I know one reason is that some cottontailscarry a disease that can be very dangerous. Usually thedisease is contracted by hunters - not from live rabbits, butcarcus. It is something I've discussed with the kids andhubby for any wild situation. I don't think Clover would haveit at this point.

I think the reasoning behind the laws againstkeeping wild animals and birds as pets is simply that they arewild, not domesticated. "Wild" covers so many things - fromcarrying diseases to their basic makeup and nature.

So, no groundhogs, chipmunks (cheeky things!) or squirrels as pets, either - all cute animals that wouldn't hurt a soul. ;)

(Also, I wanted to say that I'd be torn in two if I'd rescued a wildbun from real danger and would be *very* tempted to keep him/her... Ican understand why others have, especially in true rescue situations.)

My mom had a baby chipmunk run in front of hercar one time - and I'm not kidding - it barely had fur and its eyesweren't open!! Of course she stopped and picked it up. Wethought she'd never live..... this was a major road and we didn't knowhow she ended up on it!!

Tazzy was in a large cage where she could see everything outside andwas very happy - she stayed because she was too friendly by the timeMom could have released her. She played with the dogs andlicked jelly off our fingers.... but she wasn't completely tameeither.

Sometimes there are no good answers, but Taz lived 7 or 8 years!!!that's a long time for a chipmunk and she was taken very good careof. We still miss her. Mom didn't know at that timeshe couldn't keep her either - she found out like 3 years intoit. I was the one who found out and told her. Bythen it was just too late even if we could have reconditioned herearlier.

Wild animals never tame - not completely. Clover lives withus on her terms..... if she didn't she'd be miserable and if she wasout she'd be long dead.

In all honesty, I think she came to us for a reason. Mydaughter is seriously thinking about becoming an exotics' vet oneday. My son has also showed an interest. We onlyhave one we really like in this area and it's a very popular opinionregarding most of them here... My daughter is the only person who canactually reach into Clover's cage and pet her. She will onlytake treats from her if it's direct - if we hand them to her THROUGHthe cage she'll take them from the rest of us. I have to letmy daughter get her so I can trim her nails and stuff. Shehas a way with them and I think Clover is going to play a roll in whatmy daughter ends up doing. I truly believe there are reasonsthat certain animals come into our lives :)
I didn't take on Clover lightly - I knew that if she did live it waseither let her go or I might end up with a wild rabbit. Shenever has offered to bite but has scratched me.

I would NEVER recommend keepinga wild animal like acottontail or chipmunk. I think it's something that onlycertain people can do - and I knew my sister was NOT one of them......she had no clue as to how a rabbit should be fed or anything!Clover would have died for sure. I still don't think she'lllive long, but we will love herand make her as happy aspossible while she's with us.

Latest posts

Back