Bunny smells like unwashed arm pit ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish keeper

Reaction score
My indoor bunny cage smells bad . Ichange it every day and the smell will come back again . Iuse super premium rabbit food with Timothy hay .
What should I do ?
:bath:

you coud wash th cage down with white vinegar. also is the bun spayed or neutered? if its a boy he could be spraying.

It is a girl . I was holding her theother day and the same under arm smell was on my hands . Thecage has a slide out tray and I spray this down with Lysol then put newbedding in the tray .

did she roll or play in something? is there skunuks in your area? did you try giving her a bath?

Hi there - is she spayed? She could just bescenting with her scent glands and is particularly smelly.Can you flip her over and check her scent glants (two flaps beside heranus). If you flip her over and smell her - is the smellcoming from around that area? If that is the case it islikely her scent glands. Smells kinda like old onions andgarlic - a little bit skunky.

As she gets territorial about 6 months - 1 yearshe will probably start using her scent glands more to make her poopand leave it laying around so that everyone knows the area ishers. The first time I had to check Cookie's scent glands...I felt a little violated, but now it's not a big deal. :DThey don't always need cleaning unless you take a look and they'rereally blocked up. I've really only had to do one of mybunnys once in the last 2 years...

what kind of litter are you using? someone might have a better suggestion that would help with the smell

he he he snuffles. . .great minds must think alike! we posted the same question at the same time!

That could be your problem, newpaper sucks aslitter. Not only is it not very absorbant, but it does not help withodour what so ever. I'd suggest a pelleted wood litter such asWoodyPet, it's supposed to be great at absorbing urine and it helps alot with the smell.

I wont even use newspaper in my outdoor rabbits hutches since it almostmakes the odour stronger. But it is quite possible it is other thingslike scent glands as well.

Latest posts

Back