Bunny pulling out matted fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucabunny

Reaction score
Bunny pulling out fur

Hi guys,

My bunny is 3 years old and had a little case of a messy poop that got stuck to his fur. His poop has been normal since and I tried my best to get the poop that was stuck out (bum baths). His behaviour is completely normal, hopping around, eating and drinking like normal. I thought I did a good job getting the poop out but yesterday I noticed all the fur under his bum and on his legs was completely gone. I guess he must have pulled it out.

I am so upset, his vet appointment is booked for Monday. I’m worried about his bare legs and bum. Is there anything I should do? Will his fur grow back? He’s a very fuzzy bunny. I don’t know what caused the case of runny poo as his diet hadn’t changed, but as I said he’s pooping like normal now.

Feeling very upset that I didn’t do more to get the poop out, I was afraid to cut it as I know bunnies have very fragile skin. I thought the bum baths would be enough :(

If anyone has any experience with buns pulling out hair I’d really appreciate some advice/reassurance.

He eats Burgess pellets and has plenty of hay & water. Sometimes I give him veggies like cucumber or bell pepper but I’ve decided to cut those out in case they caused his messy poop.

It’s ok. The exact same happen with my bun. The fur will grow back. I’m not sure what to do about the bare skin, but most likely the shave won’t be that close to the skin - the skin probably won’t be exposed - but, it would be fairly short. Your doing a great job, matts and poopy butt are difficult so I am glad that your getting it taken care of by a professional.

For what it' s worth I find that pulling matts apart,not out,works well.Just gently tease the fur apart sideways and keep going until it loosens,then you can usually pull it gently out.

Latest posts

Back