bunny pulling hair please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntensegirl

Reaction score
This may be a long story I had originally a male lionhead rabbit (he lived to be 7+ years old) he passed away and we decided to get another rabbit. We found a breeder on kijiji who bred polish dwarfs, dutch bunnies, and netherland dwarfs (and one other type). Well she had a 2.5 year old doe available. So we decided to buy her (keep in mind we had only ever had a male bunny). So about a week after we got her home...she started to pull her hair and nest. So I messaged the breeder who assured me that there could be no way she was bred (unless it happened when she had taken her to a retirement home visit, which she did with numerous of her bunnies). So about a week later, I woke up to Roxy (the bunny) having given birth to 3 babies...So I message the breeder, tell her what has happened, and she tells me that she is sorry that I have the option of either her taking roxy and the babies, OR, She can just take the babies (because she has another nursing doe who could foster them). So not wanting to give up Roxy (who I had grown attached to) I was like, okay, come get the babies....NOW...this is the issue I am having...a week later...Roxy is pulling her fur and nesting...although she obviously is not pregnant anymore. Is this cause for concern, will she eventually stop? I am at a loss and kind of freaked out.

Has she been near another male rabbit not even in the same cage just near them? Because this can cause her to have a false pregnancy. or she could have been bred a week after she got prego with the first litter, and this (possible) other litter could be in her 2nd uterine horn. Which breed did you end up getting? It wasn't too clear in your original post.

This may be a long story I had originally a male lionhead rabbit (he lived to be 7+ years old) he passed away and we decided to get another rabbit. We found a breeder on kijiji who bred polish dwarfs, dutch bunnies, and netherland dwarfs (and one other type). Well she had a 2.5 year old doe available. So we decided to buy her (keep in mind we had only ever had a male bunny). So about a week after we got her home...she started to pull her hair and nest. So I messaged the breeder who assured me that there could be no way she was bred (unless it happened when she had taken her to a retirement home visit, which she did with numerous of her bunnies). So about a week later, I woke up to Roxy (the bunny) having given birth to 3 babies...So I message the breeder, tell her what has happened, and she tells me that she is sorry that I have the option of either her taking roxy and the babies, OR, She can just take the babies (because she has another nursing doe who could foster them). So not wanting to give up Roxy (who I had grown attached to) I was like, okay, come get the babies....NOW...this is the issue I am having...a week later...Roxy is pulling her fur and nesting...although she obviously is not pregnant anymore. Is this cause for concern, will she eventually stop? I am at a loss and kind of freaked out.
Yeah like above mentioned it sounds like a false pregnancy. If shes unfixed fixing her will help combat it.

Or maybe she's just stressed that she can't see her kits and it caused a false pregnancy. But I've read about what mentioned above that she can actually get pregnant while already pregnant so maybe you will have another litter soon.

Latest posts

Back