Bunny proofing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YashiJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m getting rabbits from a shelter soon and was just getting ready to get them. One thing I haven’t done yet is bunny proofing. I’m only 14 and my mom is worried about the wires looking weird with flex tubing on it. While it won’t be a huge thing, my mom likes everything to look a certain way so I was wondering if there are any other options that wouldn’t look as tacky. Thanks 😊

Depending on the wire, you could tape it to the bottom of the desk/table/counter so they can't be seen or reached by bunny teeth OR you bundle the colds in one tube that looks neater OR cover them with carpet or a rug they can't get their teeth into! Good luck! Are you so excited to get them?!

Those sound like great ideas! I was afraid that if the tape started to peel then the rabbits may ingest it. Are there ways to avoid that?

I have used string to tie it up, for more security, or easy to remove Command strips with hooks... They rock and are super easy to apply and remove. Blue tape doesn't leave any residue, but you need to use a TON (I always have a few rolls lying around) That's a really good thought! Mine HATE the blue tape, so they won't even touch it, but that's a unique scenario and the other options are probably better

I use duct tape to attach to walls, under tables, behind furniture. Be careful with furniture corners. My senior has tons of bunny-file-snags toys that he shouldn't be so obsessed with chair legs. Its the nice crisp right angle sides of the chair legs. De-licious! Another idea for cords you cannot tape, put a carpet square over it with rolled duct tape under mat. My bunny with take a spot nap on mat, unaware there is anything under it. Next- unplug any devices not in use. They can't help it. Bunnies arw full of mischief. Lay on ground so you are bunny height and scan the room. A lot of tempting items can be discovered that way.

My buns would chew those boxes, Nancy.
Yashi, I'm so proud of you for getting shelter bunnies. In my opinion, No bunnies should be bred, bought, or sold, as long as there are buns in shelters awaiting homes. Good for you 😀

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I also got a few plastic sleeves since my mom is okay with those. I made sure to do my research before getting rabbits:)

We started out using clear vinyl flex tubing of differing diameters depending on the number of cords we running together. As time passed we became a little less tolerant of the visual aspect of the tubing and better in tune with our bunnies way of thinking. The thought of solid conduit kept coming to mind, but nobody wants silver tubing adorning their walls and baseboards. I was looking around the local hardware store and came across a solid plastic conduit that has long sticks of conduit and lots of different fittings to let you customize your runs to fit your needs precisely. It even has boxes that snap on to cover wall outlets with wires plugged into them. The pieces come with a two sided peel-n-stick adhesive strip which turned out to be pretty permanent, so I invested in some Command strips. Problem solved. No more wires visible within bunnies' reach, all parts are removable-reconfigurable-reusable. A big bonus is that they can be painted to bled in with walls, baseboards, floors, whatever you want to put them on. It's a little more spendy than the flex tubing, but well worth it, in our opinions. We did our kitchen, dining room, living room and bedroom for about $150, including the separate Command strips.

I use duct tape to attach to walls, under tables, behind furniture. Be careful with furniture corners. My senior has tons of bunny-file-snags toys that he shouldn't be so obsessed with chair legs. Its the nice crisp right angle sides of the chair legs. De-licious! Another idea for cords you cannot tape, put a carpet square over it with rolled duct tape under mat. My bunny with take a spot nap on mat, unaware there is anything under it. Next- unplug any devices not in use. They can't help it. Bunnies arw full of mischief. Lay on ground so you are bunny height and scan the room. A lot of tempting items can be discovered that way.

I like how you think! @YashiJ , it is worth knowing that duct tape leaves a residue, so if your folks would be bothered by that another kind of tape would be a better option!

We started out using clear vinyl flex tubing of differing diameters depending on the number of cords we running together. As time passed we became a little less tolerant of the visual aspect of the tubing and better in tune with our bunnies way of thinking. The thought of solid conduit kept coming to mind, but nobody wants silver tubing adorning their walls and baseboards. I was looking around the local hardware store and came across a solid plastic conduit that has long sticks of conduit and lots of different fittings to let you customize your runs to fit your needs precisely. It even has boxes that snap on to cover wall outlets with wires plugged into them. The pieces come with a two sided peel-n-stick adhesive strip which turned out to be pretty permanent, so I invested in some Command strips. Problem solved. No more wires visible within bunnies' reach, all parts are removable-reconfigurable-reusable. A big bonus is that they can be painted to bled in with walls, baseboards, floors, whatever you want to put them on. It's a little more spendy than the flex tubing, but well worth it, in our opinions. We did our kitchen, dining room, living room and bedroom for about $150, including the separate Command strips.
Do you have a link to this item? I have command strips at home

The tubing is just to protect the cord. It needs to be inspected regularly. I've had a few rabbits take a few nibbles but then lose interest. It protects the rabbit from getting to a live cord. A rabbit would have to eat a bunch of it before it would cause harm and that should never happen -- not unless a particularly persistent rabbit is not watched or monitored for hours.

I found some vinyl tubing in my house but how did you guys make a slit in it. For me it’s incredibly hard. Any tips? Or am I just super weak?

Latest posts

Back