Bunny Proofing the Couch- Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuage

Reaction score
Oreo recently started moving the C and C grids (technically they are freezer dividers, but it's the same concept of C and C grids) that block her off from the back of the couch. The back of the couch leads to our lamp and cords, which wasn't a problem until she could access behind the couch. Any ideas to keep her from getting behind the couch?

Thanks guys! Right now, it's really late (like 11, I'm sleeping after this) but I will get pictures in the morning. Oreo is in her pen for the night, so it's not a problem at the moment.

So, this is the couch situation. The back of the couch leads to where our cords are (which are all covered and inaccessible). In a picture you see boxes there, those are just there as an extra barrier. Her pen is next to the couch, but she figured out how to squeeze between and move the divider.

Attachments

• DSC02423.JPG
    DSC02423.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02424.JPG
    DSC02424.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02425.JPG
    DSC02425.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02426.JPG
    DSC02426.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 4
I just installed floating shelves between my media cabinet and the wall to keep my bunny from getting behind the cabinet (see pics).

Floating shelves link.

Maybe you could you attach the shelves vertically to your wall and then attach the grid to the shelves. Or skip the shelves altogether and just use anchors and bolts to attach the grid to your wall. Just a thought ...

Attachments

• Bunny-proofing_floating shelves.jpg
    Bunny-proofing_floating shelves.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Bunny-proofing_floating shelves2.jpg
    Bunny-proofing_floating shelves2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 5
If you have the tools, you could make the L shaped wood block like Blue eyes. Then if you also need to keep bunny from chewing on the edge of the couch next to the board, keep the wire panel up and secure it to the wood slat to keep the couch blocked off. Or instead of the L block, screw brackets into the drywall securing the fencing to it. If you can't or don't want to screw brackets into the drywall , you could try taping the bottom of the panel to the floor with duct tape. It might just be a temporary solution, but you just need it to work long enough that your bun learns the panel can't be moved anymore and gives up messing with it.

Another option is to also put a tunnel back there for bunny enrichment. This is why your bun wants wants to be back there in the first place. They like small safe crawly spaces. To make a tunnel you can use irrigation piping, cardboard cement forms, or making a tunnel out of pine boards. Though you would still need to block off the top of the tunnel as mentioned above to protect your cords, or put the cords in chew proof protectors.

Latest posts

Back