Bunny Proofing Garden Area

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey! I wanted to start letting the buns out in the garden in their x-pen for some roaming/play time, last time I did this they really enjoyed it even though I put the pen on the patio away from the grass. I would like to allow them on the grassy area of our garden since it's a lot bigger but don't really know how to bunny proof it? Do I avoid areas with weeds/flowers (dandelions etc) and aim to place them in a place with just grass? Is the grass also safe for them to nibble on as well since Bambi is usually quite nosy and likes to munch on things? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
There are a number of factors to consider before (if) putting them out on the grass. I know that this is being discouraged now in the US with the new risk of RHVD. Not sure the level of risk there since likely your rabbits have been vaccinated against it? Aside from the RHVD, there are still other factors to think about.

Does your garden have fertilizer, pesticides, weed killer? Mites, ticks, mosquitos? Here is a link that reviews some of these considerations:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-outside.html
As for eating (safe) grass, that is grand for a rabbit but is similar to introducing a new green/veggie. It should be done in small amounts to start. Dandelions make a great treat for a rabbit. Most love them!

Latest posts

Back