Bunny pooping after new bunny came home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmdb

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been reading lots of similar stories, but can't find anything that answers my particular question.

I have a 7-month old doe Netherland Dwarf (M), who was sterilised 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, I adopted a young buck Belier (T), who I would like to bond with her.

M is a free roaming bunny, allowed in all parts of the apartment and balcony. The only rooms she isn't allowed in are the guest bathroom and master bedroom/en-suite bathroom.

We set up a temporary room for T in the guest bathroom. It's joined to the hallway, which M has free reign of. We set up a C&C barrier along with a metre-high piece of wood so they cannot see each other. The barrier also gives about half a metre between them.

I've read different opinions on whether they should be kept in the same room and whether they should be able to see each other or not, and I'm hoping this is okay. It's my first time bonding bunnies, so I'm in new territory and a little terrified.

My plan is to get T neutered in the next couple of weeks, then begin the bonding process in the master bathroom (neither of them have been in) once he has recovered/hormones have calmed down. At the moment he's very docile and just seems curious when he knows M is on the other side of the barrier, looking up on his back legs etc.

At first, M was curious and on higher alert than usual. Then, she started pooping a lot. She never poops outside of her litter trays - one on the balcony and one in her bedroom - except the occasional poop on my sofa when I'm not sat down by the usual time. But she has been pooping all over the house since T came home, mostly on the hallway floor and the sofa.

Is this normal and will it affect the bonding process? I don't want to stress either bunny more than I need to. But she has started circling me a lot, pooping all over and generally running around more. She's still flopped in her usual spots and mostly followed her daily routine, but she's also been running off to stand on her back legs and try to see over the barrier.

Any help/reassurance would be greatly appreciated!! I don't want to do anything that will stress either bunny or, more importantly, complicate the bonding process. Thank you!

Attachments

• 161635251_448374603035190_6936868471288824212_n.jpg
    161635251_448374603035190_6936868471288824212_n.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 5
She’s probably marking her territory, don’t worry.
I heard that it’s best to leave the poops and not swoop them right away because that will make her poop more.
Thank you for the reassurance. I figured that was probably it but I was worried she would become aggressive again. She was getting quite feisty before her spay surgery and even bit me a couple of times!

If they both only show interest and curiosity, I would try letting them be able to see each other through the grids, and see how that goes and what each rabbits reaction is(maybe give a few days, or even a couple weeks, for him to settle in first). Though if he starts pee spraying, you may want to wait until his neuter is done and at least 3 weeks post neuter, for the hormones to start to fade so he'll be less hormonal and less likely to want to urine mark.

If you decide to let them see each other through the grids, it should be done with caution and under close supervision in case of an aggressive response, so no nipping and potential injury can occur. If either rabbit shows aggression or irritation, I would continue to keep a solid barrier between the two for the time being. And instead start figuring out a way once he is neutered, to swap territories so they can get used to each others scent.

If they don't show aggression and only interest, letting them see each other through the grids can help them get used to the other rabbits scent and presence. Though if there's any chance one of them might try and nip the other through the grids, a space between two grids/fencing panels, will be needed so they can't actually reach the other bunny to nip. Though if they only ever show interest, being able to start grooming the other rabbit through the panels can be helpful in advancing the bonding process. So it's really a matter of reading their body language and reactions to each other, to determine the best way forward.

Territorial poop marking is a pretty normal occurrence when a new rabbit or other pet is brought into a home. It will usually subside after a few weeks, once your rabbit gets used to the other rabbits presence. Though once you start bonding, be prepared for an upsurge of it again.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Latest posts

Back