Bunny playhouse question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaBunny11

Reaction score
Hi All!

Longtime reader, first time poster. I recently built our bunny Sassy a wooden playhouse in her crib and she absolutely loves it. She's been daytime-sleeping now in the upper room which is mostly walled in (and relatively dark). And from time to time she seems to enjoy stretching out shingles (ceramic tiles) for their coolness.

My question is whether I should be concerned about splinters from the plywood. I sanded down the platforms best I could, but maybe there is something I could cover the first and second floor with? How concerned should I be about rough surfaces and edges?

Thanks!

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 22
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 28
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I don't think that you should be too worried about it. Have you checked your rabbits paws for splinters? If you found splinters or are very worried then you can always add towels or fleece blankets.

If you sanded it and you don't get splinters in your hand when brushing over it I wouldn't worry. I think the fur on their feet makes splinters much less of a problem for them than they are for our skin.

Cute playhouse! I wouldn't worry about the wood.

One thing you might consider, though, is moving the house away from the pen wall. The house could serve as an easy way to hop over the side of the pen.

If you want, you could get peel and stick vinyl tiles to protect the wood from any possible pee accidents(and bun from splinters). They are cheap and easy to apply, and will protect the wood. I would suggest getting one with some texture to it so it's not too slippery for your bun to walk on. But if you don't want to put vinyl tiles down, I'm sure the plywood isn't going to cause any problems since you've already sanded it.

Thanks, everyone! Appreciate the info and suggestions. She seems to be doing fine after a couple days.

Latest posts

Back