Bunny passed away, can’t seem to overcome grief and guilt..

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge Announcements' started by Rsjm, Oct 23, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Nov 5, 2019 #41

Imbrium

Imbrium

Imbrium

Jennifer

I literally laughed out loud when I read that last sentence and got out of our warm and comfy bed to get on the actual computer and post this picture for you:

resized.gif

This is Layne, who passed last January 19th during a bout with stasis. We arguably couldn't even afford cremation after the vet bill to try to save him, so I just couldn't spare the extra $15+ to upgrade to a real/fancier urn and we got stuck with the free tin. His little tin was so plain and sad, so I decorated it for him! I carried it everywhere at first (it's small enough to fit in my purse) and sometimes slept with it in my hand. We still talk to him sometimes and periodically put little "offerings" in his tin (like a craisin or a bit of hay; the ashes are in a sealed zipper bag inside, so we can put gifts to him in there and then clean it out later). We even took him to the Houston zoo on the free Tuesday in February and scattered a little pinch of his ashes by each of our favorite exhibits. He still sits on our little bedside table.

Rsjm likes this.
  2. Nov 5, 2019 #42

huffl

huffl

huffl

Sorry for your loss. I understand what your doing through as we lost Annabelle in the beginning of October this year. I miss her dearly and this community’s support has helped greatly. Remember all the good and silly times you had with your bunny.

Rsjm likes this.
  3. Nov 6, 2019 #43

Rsjm

Rsjm

Rsjm

Supporting Member

I am so sorry to hear of your experience as well.. I’m sure you loved each one of them dearly! Thanks for your offer :) but unfortunately I’m not located in USA. I would love to one day own a big enough place to have many bunnies as well though.. and yes you are right, each time is different from the other, I guess what the others have said is true, Stasis is more of a symptom rather than a disease itself, so now I am more alert to subtle changes in behaviour of the bunnies, rather than waiting for stasis to occur (as that will probably be too late..)

your bunnies are really adorable. Although they change once they grow up, I personally feel like their personality sticks with them, and it doesn’t change all that much. Wishing you and the rest of the bunnies good health and well wishes!! What a nice big happy family you have there <3

4. Nov 6, 2019 #44

Rsjm

Rsjm

Rsjm

Supporting Member

Haha that’s a nice enough urn!! That’s really so sweet of you. I’m sure he’d be so happy if he could see you from the rainbow bridge. I would love to bring her everywhere I go, unfortunately her urn is a little too big so she’ll have to settle with being at home at her favourite spot haha. How much is an urn where you’re at? The pet cremator actually offered the scattering off ashes at sea at no charge, but it was a definite no for me cuz Holly hated water and getting wet so she’d definitely be mad if I had agreed to that!

Imbrium likes this.
  5. Nov 6, 2019 #45

Rsjm

Rsjm

Rsjm

Supporting Member

thank you for your kind words. Yeah that’s what I’ve been doing, I’m sure you’re going through the same thing and I can only hope that this community has made u feel better, just as much as it has made me. Sending love and well wishes to you! May Annabelle binky free at the rainbow bridge :)

6. Nov 6, 2019 #46

Imbrium

Imbrium

Imbrium

Jennifer

We could've had them scattered for free or returned in the default urn (tin) for free. It's also tons cheaper at the place we use if you agree to a sort of group-cremation-ashes-spread-at-pet-cemetary deal, but we always cough up to get individual cremation and ashes returned.

Regardless of the urn, the ashes themselves (in my experience) are always in some variety of plastic bag. Layne's amounted to a 3'' x 2.5'' x 1.5'' (max) baggie for a nearly 8 lb rabbit.

Urns at the cremation place we use start at $15 and go up from there.

Rsjm likes this.
  7. Nov 11, 2019 #47

Rsjm

Rsjm

Rsjm

Supporting Member

If you’d ever like to upgrade Layne’s urn, or do anything in his memory, I would like to contribute towards one for you. I’d like to do something to give back for all the kindness that you’ve shown me. I really do appreciate it.

Imbrium and Alyssa and Bugs♡ like this.
  8. Nov 11, 2019 #48

Imbrium

Imbrium

Imbrium

Jennifer

Aww, that's very sweet of you! I'm happy with his decorated urn, though - it makes me giggle when I look at it and remember him fondly. If you wish to repay me for my help, then I'd love you to 'pay it forward' instead by helping out others on the forum with advice or comforting words. Give back by giving to bunnies :D.

Rsjm and Alyssa and Bugs♡ like this.
  9. Nov 15, 2019 #49

Rsjm

Rsjm

Rsjm

Supporting Member

T
    I will do just that. Been terribly busy recently with work, and I still think of her everyday, and the happy memories we had. Had a rough day few days back, and broke down when I remembered and thought of her last day with us. It'll take time, but i'll slowly get better, just like all of you have had.

I've taken some of your advice and been attending adoption drives in look for a companion. My remaining bus is really picky, seems to only like females.. will be fostering a female bun for a week, and if all goes well i'll be able to give her a home :') (poor girl hasnt had a home for the past 1-1.5 years..) will update with pictures