Bunny only wants to poo outside.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizzyMayHarvey

Reaction score
I built this new rabbit area with two stacked hutches and a big run space for my Flemish Giant Alice to move to so she can have her babies there (hoping she's pregnant!). She used to live with my chickens so I didn't think that was a great place for baby bunnies to run around. Anyway, I let her out in the morning for a run all day and then put her back in one of the hutches at night before I go to bed so she is extra safe and cosy. It has been like this for two weeks now and whenever I let her in the run area she runs to her fave poop corner and goes toilet like she's been holding it. She has a litter box in her hutch through the night and I have found a few poos in that but not much considering she's a Flemish and poos A LOT. She is very healthy and has normal looking poos and I even give her dinner before bed so I'm wondering why she would rather not poop in her house. Also we sometimes bring her inside the house and if we do she has never ever pooped inside. Even if she's inside for 4 or more hours. Is it normal that she has one prefered spot to toilet? Do rabbits not poop as much at night? And should I be worried or happy about it? She is obviously not spayed and is about 2 years old and I would have thought she would be pooping everywhere!😆
Thanks for any comments! And a photo cause she's darn cute!❤️ (Btw, she's not molting it's just a photo taken a while back.)

Attachments

• 20190516_150221.jpg
    20190516_150221.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 4
When I take my foster bun to adoption afternoons (which means being out of the house for around 3-4 hours including travel), he won’t poop when he’s there. He’ll eat loads, hop around or lay down relaxed, but doesn’t poop, or if he does, it’s only a couple. I’m not sure if he gets stage fright because there are people around, or if he just prefers to wait until he gets home!

Your bun is adorable! 😍

Thanks! Yeah, I thought it was interesting that it seems like rabbits hold it if they don't want to go toilet somewhere. Does anyone know if there is an actual reason behind this or are some rabbits just shy to poop everywhere?😆

Sounds normal to me, my does do a lot of lawn fertilizing, and they have certain spots too. They mark their territory that way, and even in the wild you can find poop spots - well away from their warren. My theory is that's to hide the warren, if they would only poop there it would be easy to find.

Sounds like your baby basically potty trained.
Our cats to the same thing. Outside for hours and come in and use the litter box.
Our flemish is inside so only ever uses his box.

Like Preitler mentioned, she might be wanting to territorial mark that specific spot for some reason, and that's why she's saving up and waiting to be let out. As long as she is eating and behaving normally otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Thanks for all the replies!!!
My theory is that's to hide the warren, if they would only poop there it would be easy to find.
Thats a good theory! Thanks for that. :) I was hoping it wouldn't mean that she doesn't feel comfortable in her hutch.

Sounds like your baby basically potty trained.
I have never attempted to litter train her as she is isn't spayed and it doesn't really bother me but maybe she is just a clean and smart little bun. <3

Latest posts

Back