bunny on antibiotics.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi

Reaction score
my female bunny Lady is currently on antibiotics for a really bad sludge and infection in her bladder. Her bladder lining is also enlarged which the vet is hoping is just infection, she has finished 8 days of her ten-day treatment. But so far her litter habits are still really bad and I've gone through nearly a full gallon of vinegar and water mix (50/50) to keep the pen clean and the bathroom scent in the litter pan. So I'm wondering what else can I do for her?

also, her urine has a lot of red to it. ( I get to see this clearly due to her peeing on the pen floor instead of the litter box also one of the reasons I took her to the vet because her litter habits drastically changed)

I would think that the antibiotic might not be effective. I would suggest talking to your vet about changing to a different antibiotic. Though you may need to get a culture and sensitivity test done to find out what the bacteria is and what antibiotic will treat it.

Also did the vet take xrays to confirm the bladder sludge? I'm wondering if there might still be a build up in there causing irritation, or even possibly bladder stones. It may be the sludge needs flushing out.

Medirabbit (bladder stones and sludge in rabbits, WARNING: contains graphic medical related photos )

If the red urine is from blood and not plant pigments, and there seems to be a lot of blood in the urine, this could potentially be a very critical situation and I would suggest contacting your vet immediately if they aren't already aware of this.

The vet did an ultrasound to check her bladder and kidneys to confirm sludge and infection. So the vet had me change out the water to herb-infused distilled to encourage more water intake from her ( which it has) and a 10-day treatment of antibiotics. And when I noticed her urine had a lot of red to it I called the vet and at this point, they feel it's the antibiotic causing some of the urine color change. So I'm just observing on that part.
But she is perked up and actually slightly more active (which for her is huge she normally is about as active as a potato). And while her litter habits are still bad her urine is showing less grit.

Update: Ok her antibiotic course is done. Her urine is worse in color and still gritty. I have made her an appointment with her vet, though I am debating on calling another vet and see if I can get her in sooner.

Is she still peeing all over the place? Is she on painkiller? I would ask the vet about testing for EC or just treating for EC. EC debris can make the bladder walls look thick.

Latest posts

Back