Bunny on Antibiotics and Not Eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefaniei18

Reaction score
Hi all,

Lily was diagnosed with an ear infection on Thursday. She was given Enrofloxacin (2x day) and Metacam (1x day). We were also given critical care to give her.

As of now, she's not eating on her own. We are feeding her critical care 4x a day at least. Has anyone had experience with these medications before? Have they caused your bun not to eat? Our vet is not open on the weekends and I'm getting really worried about her. We also started given her syringes of water because she's not going to her water bowl on her own. She's just mostly lying down in her room.

I hate having to force-feed her, but it's the only thing we can do right now as she won't eat on her own.

Thanks

Antibiotics can sometimes cause nausea or digestive upset. As long as the rabbit is continuing to eat sufficient amounts, whether on it's own or by syringe feeds, and the fecal poop remains relatively normal, it's usually not a problem and the bun may start eating on it's own after a few days being on the antibiotic.

However, if the fecal poop becomes mushy or runny(not to be confused with mushy cecotropes), there's loud stomach gurgling, and/or bloating, this is an emergency and you need to get your rabbit to your vet immediately. Or if at any point you're not sure how your rabbit is doing or have any concerns, you should consult with your vet right away.

Antibiotics can sometimes cause nausea or digestive upset. As long as the rabbit is continuing to eat sufficient amounts, whether on it's own or by syringe feeds, and the fecal poop remains relatively normal, it's usually not a problem and the bun may start eating on it's own after a few days being on the antibiotic.

However, if the fecal poop becomes mushy or runny(not to be confused with mushy cecotropes), there's loud stomach gurgling, and/or bloating, this is an emergency and you need to get your rabbit to your vet immediately. Or if at any point you're not sure how your rabbit is doing or have any concerns, you should consult with your vet right away.
Hi, thank you for letting me know. Her poops are nearly back to looking normal. They are the proper consistency just really little but I guess that’s due to her only taking critical care right now.

I managed to get an appointment first thing tomorrow morning with the vet to see if anything else may be causing her problems

She also may not be managing the pain well - metacam should be twice daily in rabbits to have full effect.
She was taking Metacam. She finished her prescription yesterday.

Since I made the OG post, she has started eating more on her own again. Not as much as she did before she got sick, but definitely an improvement to a week ago. She's also becoming more active again

She was taking Metacam. She finished her prescription yesterday.

Since I made the OG post, she has started eating more on her own again. Not as much as she did before she got sick, but definitely an improvement to a week ago. She's also becoming more active again
Yes I know, but you said she was having it once a day, rabbits should be on twice daily dosing.
Glad to hear she is doing better! Hopefully on the way up from here.

Latest posts

Back