Bunny number 2

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseynicholson93

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
So I have a two month old netherland dwarf female at the moment and was originally planning on waiting a few more months having her spayed and then adopting a male friend for her to live with. I am already aware of the issues of bonding if it is unsuccessful and everything. But I came across this ad the other day for a 7 month old female lop and she is the cutest thing ever and the owner is giving her away for free with 2 cages and everything else she has. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice! I know female to male bonds are typically easier than female to female and I would make an appointment to have the older one spayed as soon as possible and have her fully recovered before I start bonding the two girls (unless that isn't a good course of action?). I really want two bunnies I love seeing them cuddle and interact and I love interacting with my little girl, the more the merrier! So if anyone has any advice on female to female bonding or whether I should wait and get a male instead let me know please!!

Also if you already have a strong bond with your single bunny will getting another bunny affect that? Will her having a bond with another bunny mean she won't crave my attention anymore or will she have a bond with both me and the other bunny?

I would suggest waiting to get another bunny. It seems you have just acquired your first bunny, but is this your first bunny ever? If it is, I would wait until you really understand how much care goes into having a rabbit. Her personality will shift and could possibly change drastically when she gets sexually mature. I would suggest going through everything with 1 bunny before getting another. So about 6-8 months, preferably a year. Litter training, proper diet, handling, grooming and spay are just a few things that you will need to learn. Reading will give you solid base to work from, but it really doesn't shed much light on the emotional aspect. The stress, frustration, confusion of properly caring for a rabbit. Seeing 2 bunnies snuggling is super cute, but it is not always easy.

That is a great point, I got my bunny really young I've had her about a month now and she is my first bunny but not my first pet. We've had/do have snakes, cockatiels, dogs, cats, hedgehog, guinea pigs, hamsters, fish, lizards. I am aware of the commitment and everything needed to care for a bunny an have done months of research. I have a large cage I made myself and money is not an issue. She seems to be making huge progress really fast, fully litter trained in 3 days, her diet and eating habits are great! I am planning on having her spayed as well as soon as the vet will do so whether or not she is a single bun or in a pair.

A year will pass by quickly and then your decision to get another bunny will be an emotionally educated one. Like I said, it really not about the money. Its the emotional stress that goes along with owning a rabbit. She is quite young and you have not experienced her "teenager" stage. Right now, she super cute, fluffy and wants to cuddle all the time. As you add stuff to her diet you can start to have tummy problems, as she shed more as an adult the hair can cause intestinal blocks, ear mites, urine burns, injuries and that's just a few things you might have to go through. The stress of medication, long nights, watching them in pain and not being able to eat; Do you know how gut wrenching it is watching your bunny tip over and not be able to walk straight? Watching a bunny recover from a spay? Those are the things I am talking about. All the reading in the world can not prepare you for that. Just saying that you will learn a lot in your first year so keep it simple.

Thank you very much for the reply! I never thought about the emotional side of things and I hope I never have to experience some of the things you mentioned! 😁

You probably won't until she's very old, except of course for the spay. I agree that you should wait until she is past her teen stage so you know if you're ready for all that again. I personally get my bunnies as adults. I don't have to deal with puberty then.

Ya that is true, I think I will wait and have her spayed and after a half a year or so I will adopt a male that is already neutered and a few years old from a shelter or rescue :) thanks for the help everyone!!

I apologize if that scared or worried you at all. I was just trying to get you to see that there is a different world where everything is not cute and fluffy. I always try to think in the best interest of the rabbit. I promise you will end up a more responsible and experienced rabbit owner. I'm glad you made the decision to wait.

Latest posts

Back