Bunny not using potty overnight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetsyBunny

Reaction score
We have 5 month old mini lop named Misty. We have had her since she was nine weeks old. She has always had a cage set up but is free run of the house during the day.
I was concerned about her being in the cage all night so moved a larger outdoor hutch inside for her to be in while we are in bed. She seems to love the hutch and even hangs out there during the day sometimes as the door is always open. But since the move she has not used her potty tray at all overnight. No wee no poop nothing. It’s the same tray that used to be in the cage and she used it fine then.
Now she must be hanging on all night and the minute I open the door in the mornings she runs to her litter box in the kitchen and uses that. I am very concerned that she is going up to 8 hours overnight with no action at all.
she seems fine during the day and is eating, binkying and pooping like usual. it has been 4 nights now and I’m getting more worried. Any advice much appreciated.

Hello! Welcome to the forum!
If she’s using her litterbox in the kitchen, I’d move it into the hutch at night. It could be that she just thinks that she isn’t supposed to go in the litterbox.

I agree with Apollo's Slave, move the litter box into her hutch. You could also get another litter box to put in the hutch.

Thanks for the replies.
The kitchen litter box is a huge plastic tub and sadly doesn’t fit in the hutch. I tried taking some of the dirty litter out and putting it in the tray in the hutch but so far that hasn’t worked.

Is there a specific reason you don’t want her free-roaming at night? Or rather than her hutch you could use an xpen?

Apollo’s slave, she is a door scratcher. She will incessantly scratch at the closed bedroom doors until she wakes us up for playtime in the middle of the night.
I have young children so am not comfortable letting her free In their rooms at night. We have an open plan house so I cannot really close off the area that the doors are in. I guess I could look at getting a pen that just goes around her hutch.
At the moment I’m just really concerned she could cause an issue with the hanging on all night. I am tempted to just put the cage back in the house which would be a shame as she seems to love the hutch apart from the potty issue.

Apollo’s slave, she is a door scratcher. She will incessantly scratch at the closed bedroom doors until she wakes us up for playtime in the middle of the night.
I have young children so am not comfortable letting her free In their rooms at night. We have an open plan house so I cannot really close off the area that the doors are in. I guess I could look at getting a pen that just goes around her hutch.
At the moment I’m just really concerned she could cause an issue with the hanging on all night. I am tempted to just put the cage back in the house which would be a shame as she seems to love the hutch apart from the potty issue.

Oh okay that makes sense. I mean if your set-up works aside from the litterbox, I doubt that you need to change it all for a litterbox. Maybe she just doesn’t like that litterbox.

Latest posts

Back