Bunny not eating! Need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy

Reaction score
I bought Remmy back in late November of last year and since day 1 I have been feeding her the same pellets and a Timothy/Alfalfa hay mix. She usually eats it right up - both hay and pellets. The last two weeks I've noticed she only wants her pellets, very little hay. Now she has zero interest in the hay or pellets. She hasn't had the Alfalfa/Timothy mix in the last 3 weeks because I cannot find Alfalfa hay ANYWHERE, so all she's getting is Timothy for now.

Remmy should be going on 5 - 6 months old at this point, and I know how important it is for them to be getting the nutrients they need, especially at such a young age. The only things I can get her to eat are carrots, cucumbers (very limited), and raisins.

Behavior wise, she's been about the same. She's still running around and playing like normal - maybe a little lazier. She seems fine but she definitely needs to be eating!

carrots not so good for bunny .
you need to think GREEN food like carrots tops, parsley and the like.

Couple things potentially going on
1. hormones are messing her up so she's switching how she eats.. this is where you as bunny mom says "eat your meat and potatoes or NO TREATS"
OR
2. she's got a teeth or gut issue going on. Which we can't tell you. At this point I'd be suspecting a tooth issue as the eating issue has gotten more selective. Gut issues tend to be a bit more dramatic.

If she isn't eating you need to have her seen by a rabbit savvy vet today. I agree, she could have developed dental problems and this is why she first lost interest in hay and then pellets as well. If so she will need to have a dental done, but in the meantime she may need to be syringe fed soft food, or you could try offering her pellets soaked in warm water to make a mush and see if she will eat that on her own. If she will eat soft food, then dental problems is very likely the cause of her problems.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/D_problems1.htm
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.htm

But even if it's not dental problems, there is some health issue causing the lack of appetite and a vet will need to address this and get your bun on the proper treatment and meds. More than 12 hours without eating and it becomes an emergency, but sometimes even in less time it can be critical.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Previous posters are on the money, my first guess would be dental issues too. While carrots aren't exactly soft, they're not fibrous like hay so requiring much less chewing and grinding to eat. Soaking the pellets in a little bit of water to soften them up is a great suggestion :)

Let us know how things are going.

Thank you guys!

I think I was just being a little too worried (can't help it!) I'm pretty sure it was a hormonal thing. She has recently hit a small growth spurt and is back to eating normally! (Plus, she was having a little shedding period which added on to her moodiness.) I will continue to monitor though, just in case it is a tooth problem/digestion problem. It took so long to reply because I wanted to make sure she was continually eating her normal amount for several days before confirming that it was, more then likely, a hormonal thing making her lose her appetite.

Also, I was FINALLY able to get Alfalfa hay again! Luckily the Tractor and Supply right down the road from the barn I ride at had a big bag. So, I'll be going there from now on! (I don't see why PetSmart stopped carrying it at our store?)

Also, I was FINALLY able to get Alfalfa hay again! Luckily the Tractor and Supply right down the road from the barn I ride at had a big bag. So, I'll be going there from now on! (I don't see why PetSmart stopped carrying it at our store?)

Glad to hear she's doing better now.

Bear in mind that around 6 months of age, she should be transitioned off of alfalfa hay and onto timothy hay or some other type of grass hay. Alfalfa is too rich for adult rabbits. (rabbits are considered adult at 6-7 months of age)

Six months is also the age that she should be transitioned to timothy-based pellets (no more alfalfa-based pellets).

Yeah, I've been feeding her a mix of the Alfalfa and Timothy hays (mostly Timothy) as she gets older. Towards the end of April/Beginning of May I'll be switching her to just the Timothy hay. :) (Also will be switching to Timothy pellets as well!)

Thank you guys!

I think I was just being a little too worried (can't help it!) I'm pretty sure it was a hormonal thing. She has recently hit a small growth spurt and is back to eating normally! (Plus, she was having a little shedding period which added on to her moodiness.) I will continue to monitor though, just in case it is a tooth problem/digestion problem. It took so long to reply because I wanted to make sure she was continually eating her normal amount for several days before confirming that it was, more then likely, a hormonal thing making her lose her appetite.

If she stopped eating when she was shedding make sure you really brush her a lot, she may have ingested her own fur and to me its a sign that she is one of those bunnies that might be prone to wool block and needs extra brushing when she molts.

Latest posts

Back