Bunny not eating cecotropes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the same problem, with my Havana. He died about a month after I noticed it, but I don't think that was the problem. He was only four years of age and was bonded with my female holland lop, so it was very sad. I think he got bit by a spider though.

I just have a few questions. When you increased their pellet amounts, did you do it gradually or suddenly? And when they first leave their cecotropes behind(before they are stepped on or smooshed into anything) are they fully formed, semiformed, or unformed? Have you noticed if both rabbits are leaving them behind or just one? Do you feed any other sugary starchy treats, or any veggies and were they suddenly introduced into the diet or gradually? How much hay do you think they are both eating in a day(small, large, x large handful 1 or 2 times a day) and about how much of the pellets are they both eating each day? Also do you know their weight?

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-droppings.asp

I just have a few questions. When you increased their pellet amounts, did you do it gradually or suddenly? And when they first leave their cecotropes behind(before they are stepped on or smooshed into anything) are they fully formed, semiformed, or unformed? Have you noticed if both rabbits are leaving them behind or just one? Do you feed any other sugary starchy treats, or any veggies and were they suddenly introduced into the diet or gradually? How much hay do you think they are both eating in a day(small, large, x large handful 1 or 2 times a day) and about how much of the pellets are they both eating each day? Also do you know their weight?

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-droppings.asp

Okay let's see.
1. The rabbits were getting a 1 cup scoop a few times a day, when we saw that they were "supposed" to get unlimited pellets, we just kept filling up their bowl with 1 cup scoops everytime we saw it was empty.
2. They've had nothing at all to eat except the pellet food and hay - they were given a little piece of romaine lettuce to try when they were very young (because we didn't know that was too early) and they haven't received it since.
3. Cecals are fully formed and normal.
4. We don't know who is leaving them - definitely Wally, as he sometimes has bits stuck to his tummy, but they live together and we aren't always home to watch and see who's leaving the poops. They're pretty inseparable right now, needing to always be where the other is, so I can't say if it's one or both.
5. Amounts of hay are unknown as well - we give them copious amounts in the litter box, which they nibble on all day, and they have a kleenex box stuffed with alfalfa which they play with and nibble on. I just keep adding more, as it gets soiled / flattened / tossed / eaten.
6. Pellets are devoured the moment they go in the bowl - total enthusiasm for the pellet food - it's basically their most favourite thing ever, which makes me feel like I don't feed them enough or something. They're always hungry!
7. 2 weeks ago, the vet weighed them at 3.7lbs (6 weeks old), they are now 8.5 weeks, and probably closer to 5lbs each. I can weigh them later and see exactly, but 5lbs is my estimate. :)

Since the cecals are normal, that helps rule out a bacterial imbalance. I would suspect it could have to do with the sudden increase of pellets, getting too many, and may also have to do with being young and being in a new home. First, you always want to introduce new foods, or make food changes, gradually, starting with small amounts and slowly increasing over several days to weeks. You could start slowly reducing their pellet amount each day, until you get to the point where the excess cecals stop. Wben I raised my baby bunnies, I fed twice a day and found that feeding them enough pellets to last til about 3 hours before the next feeding, provided them with enough pellets for growing and to stay healthy, but then also got them eating their hay when they ran out of pellets, before the next feeding. This ensures they are eating some hay, which will help reduce or eliminate digestive problems.

I have an 11 week old Holland lop bunny that I have had since 8 weeks old. He is not eating his cecotropes and they are getting mashed into his fur. I have brought him to the vet and had a stool sample done- no parasites. He is on Oxbow pellets 1/2 cup a day and unlimited hay. That is it besides water of course. It has almost been a month now and I am not seeing any improvements. The vet says there is nothing else that can be done. Has anyone ever encoutered this problem before and is this just the way he will be forever? I know the breeder I got him from was giving him rolled oats mixed in a bit with his pellet food, but I did not continue this. I would think if it were the oats it would have cleared by now since it has almost been a month. I need advice please.
Hi Adeline, i have 13 week old lops with the same issue. Did yours get better eventually? I'd love to hear how it went.

Latest posts

Back