Bunny not eating cecotropes.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThumperParadise

Reaction score
I got a bunny on Saturday, she was doing so well that day but then on Sunday she started to leave her cecotropes around and then started to excessively itch her ear. I thought it was because her past owner gave her to many carrots because I watched them give her a full baby carrot. So I cut out treats from her diet for a day to see what would happen and she stopped doing that. So would that have been the cause? I don’t know why she’s been itching her fur and ear. I checked her ears and it wasn’t flaky and nothing was building up. Should I take her to the vet?

Welcome to the forum!
What does her diet look like? How old is she? She is probably molting right now since it is the spring and almost all bunnies are molting (my room is covered in fur because of my bunny 😂). How often are you brushing her? What brushes do you have? What breed is she?
Because there is no flaky skin in her ears, her ears are probably getting irritated from fur landing on them. Whenever I brush Theo (my rabbit) he will run off and scratch his ears afterward because fur got inside them. I don't think she needs to be taken to the vet unless her ears are flaky. Taking her to the vet will just stress her out and make it harder for you to bond with her.

Welcome to the forum!
What does her diet look like? How old is she? She is probably molting right now since it is the spring and almost all bunnies are molting (my room is covered in fur because of my bunny 😂). How often are you brushing her? What brushes do you have? What breed is she?
Because there is no flaky skin in her ears, her ears are probably getting irritated from fur landing on them. Whenever I brush Theo (my rabbit) he will run off and scratch his ears afterward because fur got inside them. I don't think she needs to be taken to the vet unless her ears are flaky. Taking her to the vet will just stress her out and make it harder for you to bond with her.
I give her romaine lettuce with some celery mixed in. I have gotten the wrong brush for her because the brush I got did nothing so I’m going out to get a brush for her soon. She is a Holland lop Rex mini mix. One of her ears are like a Holland lop and the other is just standing up right if that makes sense! I kinda figured it was because she was molting.

If you noticed cecotropes (or abnormal poos for that matter) within a day of bringing her home, it may just be stress-related. I'm not a vet though, and nothing can replace a good vet, but they should go back to normal in the next day (or so). Bunnies' digestive systems (and ours too) react to stress, and this can lead to passing cecotropes as stool.

I'd let her acclimate for a day or two with as few disturbances of any kind as possible!

Again, I'm not a vet, just my two cents.

It was probably just from the treats, or from stress like @SirLawrence said. Her diet sounds really good but if she does stop eating cecotropes just remove the pellets and veggies for a couple of days until she starts eating them again.

I have a Mini Rex so I completely understand having a hard time finding brushes! The best brushes I have are the furminator (I got an off-brand and it works exactly the same) and pet brush gloves. The rubber pet brush gloves are amazing to use after the grooming session because they get all the loose fur!

It was probably just from the treats, or from stress like @SirLawrence said. Her diet sounds really good but if she does stop eating cecotropes just remove the pellets and veggies for a couple of days until she starts eating them again.

I have a Mini Rex so I completely understand having a hard time finding brushes! The best brushes I have are the furminator (I got an off-brand and it works exactly the same) and pet brush gloves. The rubber pet brush gloves are amazing to use after the grooming session because they get all the loose fur!
Thank you very much ! I will be sure to get those !

New bunnies in new homes can get distracted from eating their cecals. It's completely normal. Give her a couple weeks to settle in and then if she's still leaving them, some changes may need to be made. Though if after stopping the carrots it's not happening anymore, I think you have your answer that the carrots were the cause.

Keep an eye on the ear itching. It maybe she has some wax stuck in there, or if it continues and is excessive, she could possibly have mites, which you would need to see an experienced rabbit vet for.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
If you get a furminator, it needs to be used with great care. Rabbits have delicate skin and there have been instances of it ripping a rabbits skin.

Latest posts

Back