Bunny Nipping causing bumps

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annita

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg Hi my bunny Teddy keeps on nipping on my arm and I see these red bumps on my arm. They seem kind of like it’s an insect bite if that makes sense (small raised bumps where he bite and redness around it) . I’ve had these bumps since yesterday and they’re still red, I want to know if anybody has had this before and what is going on? Thank you :)

Last edited:
It is most likely an irritated skin reaction to your rabbit's saliva. I get them occasionally when my rabbit licks me, so sometimes they are there, sometimes they are not. I wouldn't call it a full-blown allergy to your rabbit unless it happens every time, but it seems to cause you some slight irritation occasionally. Unless the skin bumps get worse (barring you don't irritate them by scratching them or something else), it should be OK.

Don't let your rabbit nip you. That's a bad habit to allow. If he does it again, let out a high-pitched yelp so he learns not to do it.

If he isn't hormonal, then nipping could be him trying to communicate with you (frustrated that he hasn't gotten through to you). He may be nudging you before he nips, for example. If that's the case, then the nudge is his way of saying either "move your arm out of my way" or "let me go."

It's a good idea to get to know bunny body language so to better understand their communication. Check here for starters:
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Latest posts

Back