Bunny Medicine Chest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anneq

Reaction score
So I went out yesterday with a list for all the things I'd like to have on-hand for my buns in case of emergency (and non-emergency).

Wazine /Piperazine (picked-up from a small Feed store) my bunnys are outdoors a lot especially in the milder months.

Rabbit conditioner[font="Arial, Helvetica"] (bought from Barbi Brown - stuff looks so good, I wanna eat it, lol)

Meat tenderizer (to help with molting)

Toenail Trimmers ( I am NOT looking forward to this one)

[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica"]Vanodine (ordered it on-line)

[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica"]Ivomec [/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Simethicone Drops[/font]

Bene-bac

......hope I haven't forgotten anything:nerves1

please add to my list if I've skipped anything -

*Nutri Cal. Great for rabbits off their feed, recovering from surgery or geriatric rabbits.

*Triple antibiotic ointment (can also be used as an eye ointment).

*Liquid bandage

Throw away the meat tenderizer (or use it for your steaks) Meat tenderizer does absolutely nothing to help with molting (neither do any of the other enzymes such as papaya). It doesn't break the chemical bonds of hair, nor can it break down mucus in the intestines. It takes very strong chemicals (like Drano or Nair) to dissolve hair. Many meat tenderizers are also high in sodium.

Pam

From the House Rabbit Society:

MYTH:
"Pineapple juice, papaya and/or enzyme products are helpful in treating hair-balls in the rabbit."

TRUTH:
Because the rabbit cannot spit, it ingests a lot of hair when grooming. It is commonly thought that this ingested hair leads to gastric hair-balls ("gastric stasis," see above). For at least three decades rabbit owners have treated this problem with a host of digestive enzyme products including pineapple juice, papaya, or papaya tablets (all of which contain the digestive enzyme papain), or a number of pharmaceutical enzyme products including Prozyme, Viokase and many more. Several well performed scientific studies have shown that these products neither correct nor prevent the accumulation of hair, nor will they dissolve the accumulation of food and hair that forms in the stomach of the rabbit. We have found, however, that pineapple juice may have some positive effect in the rehydration and return of normal stomach acid levels in the stomach contents of rabbits with gastric stasis.

Ah ok, thank you for the information in regards to the meat tenderizer.
And yes, forgot that I had also bought Nutri-Cal - just forgot to list it.
Other than grooming, do you recommend anything for hair-balls (I've been very lucky so far and none of mine have suffered from this).

Will get the liquid bandages & antibiotic ointment.

Blockages with hair usually result from the intestines slowing down from other causes. A high fiber diet is recommended as "nature's scrub brush".

Pam

Ok, sounds good - we should be fine on that front - they are always supplied with fresh Timothy hay - trying to find a local hay dealer so I can buy by the bale.

Ok, sounds good - we should be fine on that front - they are always supplied with fresh Timothy hay - trying to find a local hay dealer so I can buy by the bale.

p.s. noticed that you home-school - Nice to meet another HS'er -I've HS'd for 19yrs.

Hehe, I'm not far behind - 16yr.old Will & 13yr.old Anna.
Rachel my oldest is turning 19yr.old this May and is out on her own...nothing like life's real lessons to put things in perspective, lol.

Thank you for all the information, Pam;)

Latest posts

Back