Bunny making unusual noise!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnoccibun

Reaction score
Hi everybun! Haven't posted in a while, but I need some advice! My splayed girl who is 11 months old, has recently started making a snorting noise whenever she runs. Most of the time it's when she's running towards me. She's only been doing it for a couple of weeks, and you can only hear it if it's really quiet. I've read that it's probably excitement, but I've also read that rabbits with splayed legs can develop issues with their lungs and other organs. Because I've only noticed the noise recently I'm wondering if it's more a health related snorting rather than excitement?. It almost sounds like she's got a blocked nose. What does everyone think?

Does it sound a bit like a pig grunt? My guy does that when I put his oats in, I call him my little piglet. He'll also do that if I'm teasing him with a towel, or paper towel roll. It's not mean kindof thing but excitement.
Is there any discharge or excessive dampness to her nose? My suggestion is to get down there with a dish towel and play with her, kind of brush the towel over her head and see if you can get her to do it.

It could be excitement or it could be a health issue. No way to know for sure without having a vet check her over. With her having a preexisting health condition making her more prone to other issues, if you are concerned at all, always best to have a good rabbit vet check it out.

It might indeed be just a sign of excitement. I wouldn't be very worried if there is no other unusual signs and that she doesn't seem to be in pain while running. If you can, I would try to record it to show it to a vet just to be on the safe side.

Thanks everyone! She's not showing any signs of being in pain and she usually only runs towards me when she's excited to see me or I have a treat so I'm thinking it must be excitement! Bless her :)

Latest posts

Back