bunny making grunting noises?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mauraa30

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Two days ago, I started fostering or taking care of a bunny that was held at my school for this corona outbreak. But sometimes she will make these grunting, nasally, honking noises from her cage usually when I am not near her. It is an off and on sound but it can get really loud sometimes. She even does it when I'm not around. She usually stops when I get closer, but not all the time. I don't know if she is just vocal or if she is still nervous because it's a new environment. Maybe I am overthinking it but I just want to make sure she is okay. If anyone could help me out, that would be great. Thank you!

Honking? That's mating behaviour, but can also be used to signify that she wants your attention (she stops when you come close) in a spayed female it is also a happy noise expressing excitement and zeal. Don't worry about it it's not a bad thing and not used to express fear or discomfort

Honking? That's mating behaviour, but can also be used to signify that she wants your attention (she stops when you come close) in a spayed female it is also a happy noise expressing excitement and zeal. Don't worry about it it's not a bad thing and not used to express fear or discomfort
Thank you so much!

I have a doe Mini Lop that is very vocal. To me it's sounds like loud humming or purring. She does it when she's excited

That's really interesting to read that she does it when excited. I was wondering how to interpret the same vocalisations of one of our 4 rabbits. My 2 male angora cross bunnies never grunt, but our 2 does (especially one) have become very vocal (they are Old English pure breed). I was thinking that she is anxious, as she does it in the morning when I come to take her out of her nighttime, indoor cage. I think it disturbs them to be moved about, with my terrible habit of getting them out onto the garden to be put into their mahoosive run... Maybe I am not taking enough time to pick them up carefully.

We have two bunnies, our female mini Rex makes very loud grunting sounds when she’s excited so when we come home from work and when it’s feeding time, or sometimes mid Binky it almost sounds like a pig snorting so we call her miss piggy sometimes lol. Our male Holland lop is quite territorial and he’ll make the same sound when we take his litter box to clean it or if anyone disturbs his eating, also he likes to attack the broom and grunt. So I guess it just depends on the context but based on my experience it’s a sound that they make when they feel an extreme emotion :)

Latest posts

Back