Bunny licks a lot?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamichu

Reaction score
One of my baby bunz likes to come up to me and a few other people and start licking them. Not just one or two licks...more like...a lot. Its weird. Why does he do this? My other baby bun doesn't do it. :?

Oh okay! thanks i just thought it was really weird...he also licks the wall! o_O

Thats so funny your bun licks the air...haha XD

My bunnies, especially Coco, will occasionally lick the wall, too. They haven't done it in awhile now. I've never figured out why they would enjoy this... :?

Yeah, I'd say either it's because the people taste good (eat fruit recently?) or because he's very affectionate. Some bunnies will groom people they love. Coco often grooms my hands and face. Kiwi usually sticks to grooming my clothes, but I've read that can also be interpreted as grooming the person: I guess they think of your clothes as part of you.

In rabbit society to groom and to be groomed are considered the greatest honors. Two rabbits who are deeply bonded will groom each other quite frequently, the same goes for a rabbit and a human, when you are petting your rabbit they see this as a form of affection and most probably want to return the favor.
Just like with chickens, where the famous phrase 'pecking order' comes from, where certain chickens will peck the chickens below them and so on. The same applies for rabbits, there will usually be a dominant rabbit within a warren, this rabbit will be groomed by all of the other rabbits, and sometimes groom the others. This establishes order within the group.
So your rabbit licking you is a sign of great affection! Do not be worried, it's just his/her way of saying that they love you deeply (and that you also probably taste great!).
My Lucy is a constant licker, if i'm not patting her she'll be licking me and she decides when she wants to be patted and when she wants to lick.

licking is a sign of a very affectionate bunny, lucky:D
Question: my rabbit used to lick me and now that i'm taking him out and petting him every day he's stopped, why?

My bunnies lick all the time. They will hop up on the couch and hop up to your face and start licking your whole face like a dog would. If you make a kissing sound with your lips, they hop right up to you and lick you. :D

my friend's bunny does this, I think she knows we like it cause the more we squeal and giggle the more she licks. she'll lick any time you hold her up to your nose or your own kisses.

You guys are so lucky to have babies to love to give bunny kisses. My two, including my baby one, don't bunny kiss me ever :(

haha there are some cute stories here... my bunnies don't lick me yet. maybe when they get to know me more they will, we'll see. but I don't think I mind if they dont haha

I think my bunny was kissing/licking our glass door the other day when she was out in the lounge room... what is going on with that? haha

kirbyultra wrote:
You guys are so lucky to have babies to love to give bunny kisses. My two, including my baby one, don't bunny kiss me ever :(
Some will lick you if you stroke their cheeks and mouth area. Be careful because they might also bite you if they don't like it.

Hey guys, my bunny Ruari likes to lick me too! Shes not neutered yet so I thought it was her way of sayin she wants to get it on!! :p but if it's just affection thats cool :D Sometimes she kinda gets... over enthusiastic and throws in the odd nip tho! :)

I've found that my current litter of Mini Rex babies will just sit next to you and lick whatever part of you they can reach. :p
It's super cute, but I get a little anxious sometimes because I'm worried they'll nip :p
I've never had baby bunnies lick so much! hehe. I was thinking maybe they have a lack of salt or something...but I don't know.

Emily

Latest posts

Back