Bunny keeps peeing on bed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneMaple

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a new bunny owner and I'm already having some behavioral troubles with my Tokki.
Some general info, sorry if it's irrelevant: we believe him/her to be two and a half months of age - previous owner told us he/she was born on February 12th. Tokki has not been to the vet yet and so we have no idea if it's a doe or a buck. We only know he/she hasn't been sterilized yet.
Tokki hasn't been using his/her litterbox in the time we've had him/her so far (which is less than a week). Instead what he/she likes to do every morning is be released from the cage, climb up on my bed and leave a nice stinky warm puddle in one of the corners. Yikes!
Tokki does not like being handled, despite enjoying being pet when he/she is relaxed. So all the guide videos on "How to stop your rabbit from peeing on the bed" haven't really helped. I've tried the vinegar trick too - I wouldn't be on this forum if it had worked.
Should I just restrict his/her access to the bed and wait after he/she has been spayed or neutered to allow it again? I'd hate to do it since the bed seems to be Tokki's favorite spot in the whole room - I've only ever seen him binky and flop there and nowhere else in the entire room. He/she does seem to enjoy napping on it, apart from peeing on it.
So uh.. any suggestions? :oops:

Peeing on it is one of the ways they mark territory. Altering Tokki will help this but not stop it completely. They love to add their scent to yours.

Yes, block access to the bed! He is developing a habit that you don't want to stick! Until he's fully litter trained, I'd keep him off the bed. Rabbits love to pee on soft material.

The good news is that rabbits litter train much more easily once they are fixed. Hormonal rabbits, on the other hand, can have terrible potty habits.

This brings us to your litter box. How is it set up? Can you post a photo of cage and box? A good litter box set up will entice bunny to go in it. Some young bunnies (yours may be too young to have hormones causing much of a problem yet) will litter train. Some won't. But it may mean confining him to his cage until he gets the idea.

Latest posts

Back