Bunny keeps getting gas..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasminebunny

Reaction score
My bunny jasmine , is on a hay , pellets and water only diet ,due to the fact that veg gives her gas . ( occasional herbs , fruits and natural snacks)
But even while on a hay and pellet diet she gets gas , sometimes every day .

I don't know why this is ..
She gets run around time , around 6-8 hours .

Why is this ?
Should i call the vet?

This is overlapping the other thread:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/good-rabbit-treats-not-homemade.98210/
I know you had run out of hay.

So, to switch my question over to this thread...

Are you saying that for every day this past week (all 7 days) she's had nothing but unlimited hay, 1/4 cup of selective pellets and water? But you also said that a few times you gave her fruit too along with her simethicone? and what is she doing that makes you suspect she has gas?

Hi, When my bunny gets gas its very loud rumbling in his stomach. I give him 0.3ml simethicone (human baby gas drops). Then lay his back on my
chest while I am on the couch. I then manually massage his tummy, you can feel large gas bubbles rolling around in there. It really helps and takes about 15 minutes. True gas bubbles or pockets of gas are very painful. Stasis causes bunnies to lay in their stomachs because they are in pain. But.. that is diagnosed with an x-ray by vet. Bunnies quietly laying on stomach can be sign of contentment.

My dad said she just needs it go outside and it'll magicly get rid of her gas

Ok, that helps, you need to get food in there to move gas along and treat gas.
1. Go to drugstore to baby section and get baby gas drops. They all have same ingredient. My bunny was 3.5 pounds and his dosage worked out by vet was 0.3ml x2 a day. It comes with a dropper not really for rabbits. If you have a 1ml syringe feeder, use that. Its a thick solution so shake bottle..
2. Next, lay back on couch with bunnys back on you so he is stretched out. Put palm of your hand on tummy with gentle but firm pressure. Press palm down in circular massage motion until you feel bubble. Gently keep your palm in that motion, imagine working bubble down towards his rectum. Remember he's in pain, as gas and massage begin to work that bubble becomes less and less noticeable. 3. Now get food in him, try something like dry oatmeal. If he wont eat, put bunny pellets and timothy hay in blender until you get as close to powder. Add some water until its consistency of applesauce. Use feeding syringe OR put small glob on his lips and he will lick off. 4. If too much time has passes and your bunny still in pain, may be statis and bunny must go to vet. Stasis can be lethal. Keep me posted.

They will also inject bunny with pain killer right away. Then do diagnostics. Your bunny has excellent chance of moving past this with vet care. Hang in there.

Ok, at this point bunny must go to vet as urgent appointment. An xray will show dark air pockets confirming that. Please consider this an emergency, asked to be worked in if need be. Stasis can lead to rabbits death in 24 hours. Please call asap.
I will call asap .
She seems to eat then stop and relax and then eat and it seems to upset her tum or something?

That is excellent news. If bunny had stasis she would not be eating. You might look at her front teeth, if they are wonky you would see odd eating. Do you have dry oatmeal? Put some in front of her. Regular bunny will gobble that up, stasis bunny will do nothing. Stasis means shut down GI and not eating. Even sporadic eating excellent sign.

That is excellent news. If bunny had stasis she would not be eating. You might look at her front teeth, if they are wonky you would see odd eating. Do you have dry oatmeal? Put some in front of her. Regular bunny will gobble that up, stasis bunny will do nothing. Stasis means shut down GI and not eating. Even sporadic eating excellent sign.
She didn't eat the oatmeal..
I was looking to see if she pooped and founs what looks like dirreah on her blanket..

Latest posts

Back