Bunny just lost her partner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven123

Reaction score
So yesterday my sweet Skylar just passed away. My other bunny Hermione got to be with Skylar's body for 1-2 hours after she died because I have heard that helps her understand her partner is gone. I have been monitoring Hermione closely to see how she has been acting about it and I have noticed she hasn't been drinking as much water as she used to and she will eat all of her food twice as slow. When I gave her her pellets last night she ate some and then left and would come back a little while later eating a little more and it took hours for her to finish her pellets. When I gave her greens this morning as well, she would do the same and it's not normal for her because she normally eats it up right away and loves food. Her water hasn't been drank that much, I gave her a fresh bowl of water last night and I normally give them two new bowls of water every day and I haven't given Hermione a new bowl yet but I noticed that in her bowl right now she hasn't drank a lot of it and has only drank about a third of it and the bowl looks like it would only hold a couple cups of water. Hermione would normally be almost out by now and I would have to give them more water by now but it's not the case today. I'm wondering if this has something to do with Skylar being gone. Hermione also hasn't been that active but she's never been that active and maybe she's bored now that her playmate is gone but she's mostly just has been sleeping all day like she normally does so idk if thats good. Her hay has been eaten more slowly, I am still giving her two litter boxes because her litter habits aren't the best and I accidentally set two litter boxes up last night. Now thats mostly what hermione has been doing and all the food being more slowly eaten and not a lot of water being drank is very unusual for her because she loves food and drinks a TON of water normally.

I have not had paired rabbits before, but having had a rabbit for almost 9 years and read about paired buns I know they can struggle once their partner has passed. She may be struggling with some depression from her companion being gone, but if you are concerned it never hurts to take them to the vet.

I am also very sorry for your loss. My bun Pipkin had to be put down last summer and it was so hard. I hope you find comfort in your other bun and this forum to know that many of us have gone through that pain, and can help each other. ❤

Thank you, she has been eating and drinking, just not eating as fast as she used to and is just taking her time now, she will eat a little then leave and come back to eat more. With water she’s been drinking it but she’s just not drinking as much water as she used to so I might try to syringe feed her some water to make sure she’s getting enough.

Latest posts

Back