Bunny is litter trained but pees on bedding/ anything soft on cage floor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissy95

Reaction score
My Bunny is just over 1 years old, and is neutered. He is litter trained, and when I have no bedding on the cage floor he will only ever pee in his litter tray. However, because it is now the winter, i decided I should put some bedding on the cage floor to help keep it a bit warmer for him. It is not a surprise that now he is getting confused and peeing on the bedding. I have also tried fleece blanket, but this has had the same result.

He is an indoor bunny, so I am now considering whether I should just remove the bedding and he would still be warm enough? It probably, at the very least, would be 1 degrees outside, which means the temperature indoors would be a bit above that over night.

Any thoughts/ suggestions are very welcome! I just want to make sure my little bun bun is warm enough!

Thank you!

How is your litter box setup and what size is it? A large litter box that has hay on top of the litter is often a favored place for a rabbit to snuggle in. Then you could keep the restof the cage floor bare. (A photo of your rabbit's area would be helpful.)

Other than that, you could try something 'less soft,' like maybe a doormat or low pile piece of carpet (if he doesn't chew it). Maybe even a cloth placemat.

How is your litter box setup and what size is it? A large litter box that has hay on top of the litter is often a favored place for a rabbit to snuggle in. Then you could keep the restof the cage floor bare. (A photo of your rabbit's area would be helpful.)

Other than that, you could try something 'less soft,' like maybe a doormat or low pile piece of carpet (if he doesn't chew it). Maybe even a cloth placemat.
Thanks so much for your reply! Yes the litter box is just how you described, and I have spotted him napping in there to be fair! I will give the doormat or something similar a go, and if not will keep it bare!

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back