Bunny is getting overly picky

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akat

Reaction score
My bunny has always been quite the picky eater, but over the last couple of months it’s getting out of hand. She’s never had much of a taste for hay, despite trying several different kinds and always having plenty available, and she used to only eat lettuce, kale, pellets, berries, and treats. I recently gave her parsley to try and she LOVED it. This seemed great, as it was another thing I could incorporate in her diet, but now she won’t eat anything unless it’s parsley. It seems she’s gotten “tired” of most of the things she used to love, and almost exclusively eats parsley, kale, and treats. I’m concerned as I can’t see how parsley, even in large quantities, could fill her up, and eating only a couple of things can’t be healthy. Is this dangerous, and is there anything I can do about it?

I think I should also note that I have tried introducing lots of different new foods into her diet, and she’s not interested. I always hear how much bunnies love bananas as treats, and she’s never taken more than a little nibble. And parsley wilts quickly, so it’s like I have to go to the store every couple of days to buy a few bunches of it just to make sure she eats something!

I grow my own parsley and it has saved me a ton of money on veggie money, I also grow kale, mint, and basil. Sorry, I don't know much about the diet question, but I have heard of other buns being quite picky and you may have to take away the parsley for a while and just give her the other greens.

My bunny has always been quite the picky eater, but over the last couple of months it’s getting out of hand. She’s never had much of a taste for hay, despite trying several different kinds and always having plenty available, and she used to only eat lettuce, kale, pellets, berries, and treats. I recently gave her parsley to try and she LOVED it. This seemed great, as it was another thing I could incorporate in her diet, but now she won’t eat anything unless it’s parsley. It seems she’s gotten “tired” of most of the things she used to love, and almost exclusively eats parsley, kale, and treats. I’m concerned as I can’t see how parsley, even in large quantities, could fill her up, and eating only a couple of things can’t be healthy. Is this dangerous, and is there anything I can do about it?
Try cutting down on treats and stop feeding parsley , and just feed things like lettuce , kale , rocket and other leafy greens .
And try to introduce her to new foods , and if she's not eating enough hay cut down on the pellets , and try mixing in things like chamomile and rose hips , these helped with my rabbit who didn't like hay . If that doesn't work , talk to your vet ,maybe about a "hay free diet" but don't just go on a hay free diet without talking to your vet .
One of my 8 rabbits is on a hay free diet .
I hope this helps!
:p:D:)

Latest posts

Back