Bunny is acting skittish and scared!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella's mom

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First off I wanted to say thanks so much for all being so awesome!! I was wondering if you guys can help me. Bella is now 5 months. She will be spayed next month most likely or the beginning of August. The past two days she's been digging like crazy. Litterbox needs cleaning as it's literally all over the place. She is skittish and runs into her little log home we bought her when we touch her. Happens mostly at night. The other night I tried picking her up and she was not happy with me and did the bunny 500 all over the dog pen. What should we do? Do you think this is hormonal? Any suggestions are welcome! I know rabbits don't like being held. When I took her to cut her nails I was told that I need to hold her more but I don't want Bella thinking we're going to hurt her. Should I just let her be and have her gain my trust? It makes us sad as she used to be more social with us. Thanks guys!
Isa and Bella :)

It could be hormonal, as hormonal rabbits will be much more territorial and aware of surroundings. My rabbit was a nasty little thing when she hit puberty, getting her spayed was the best thing we ever did! I think leave picking her up until she is happier in your company, and doesn’t associate you being there with you picking her up. Try just spending some time there and allowing her to make the choice to come over and see you (even if that means having bribes, I mean treats, on your lap). Puberty can change their personality a little bit (think of stroppy human teenagers haha). Some rabbits are naturally just more nervous than others, but if it is a personality change you’re seeing you can likely attribute it to hormones.

Thanks so much @Popsicles ! You’re awesome! That’s what we think too! Most likely hormonal for sure! I’ll get her out into her dog pen today and sit with her and kind of just ignore and wait her out and see if that works! I’ll let her come to us when she’s ready! I laughed at the puberty and stroppy teenagers comment . Thanks for your advice!! Much appreciated and have a fabulous day xoox

No problem glad you found it useful!! Good luck and keep us updated :D
P.s. it’s worth mentioning that being grumpy caaaaan be because she isn’t feeling well, so keep an eye on food and water intake and toilet habits etc as well :)

Latest posts

Back