Bunny - indoors but unheated space

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry L.

Reaction score
Hello! We’ve had our Twix for a couple months now. We live in New England and I’m wondering what to do to make her comfortable in the winter. She lives in an unheated breezeway; she has a 2 story hutch connected to an x-pen. This room gets just as cold as the outdoors, I think. While the walls are not insulated, they are there to prevent big winds or rain/snow from getting near her. There’s an indoor/outdoor rug on top of the concrete floor. She has a cushioned bath mat that she doesn’t seem to ever sit on. In her hutch she has a soft, pillow bed in the small part of the hutch that’s like a hideout with solid walls. She does not care for shavings all about and always pushes them out of the way or uses them as a litter pan.

What can I do to make her more comfortable when the temperatures really start to drop? Is there a temp at which I should move her indoors in a cage? We don’t have space to permanently have her live in the house.

Bunny can handle cold really well. Just fill own part with straws. If you are going to keep her indoors. It’s time to take her in now, otherwise she will start to build winter fur and will easily overheat when moving inside.

My outdoors bunny are already molting to get their winter fur now, live in Sweden. I purchase staws around November/December and keep it filled until winter it’s over. Even though my bunny more often just play with it, one of them rather sleep in the snow during the winter period [emoji23]

Rabbits are fine down to -15, -20°C when they are sheltered from the elements, have a insulated hidy house (you'll rarely see it in there) and lots of hay. covering most of the hutch with blankets is an option too when it gets colder.
What should be avoided is bringing them from the cold into heated rooms and back out, that is quite stressful for their lungs.

My rabbits don't like soft things to lie on, they prefer hard floor.

Latest posts

Back