BUNNY IN LABOR

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alybrooke

Reaction score
HELP MY BUNNY IS IN LABOR
found out she was pregnant yesterday the the vet and she is giving birth right now, she had 1 bunny which was “still born” wasn’t breathing when we saw it, she has been pushing and seems like she’s trying to have more but it’s been an hour she’s only 6 months old!

I'm not an expert, but hoping someone more experienced will come by who can offer advice!

My understanding is that calcium is very important for pregnant buns and buns in labor. Do you have alfalfa? Try feeding alfalfa. Also, if you have Tums (regular, calcium Tums only, not any old antacid) you can feed that.

Usually they have them quickly, within a half hour once it starts, but sometimes they can have two separate batches of kits hours or even days apart, due to having two uterine horns.

But if you suspect she may be having labor difficultities, you should contact your vet.

Usually they have them quickly, within a half hour once it starts, but sometimes they can have two separate batches of kits hours or even days apart, due to having two uterine horns.

But if you suspect she may be having labor difficultities, you should contact your vet.
Thank you, I don’t think she’s having difficulties she has one that was still born. And seems to be pushing like I hear air come out when she pushes almost like a toot sound, and she has been eating hay and walking around. She seems okay but keeps pushing randomly.

Uhm, well, english can indeed be confusing sometimes when it's not your mother tounge, I reckon.

Anyway, it's been quite some time, how is your rabbit doing?
I'm rarely around when my does kindle, so I can't really tell if there is a problem. But usually they are done pretty quickly, within an hour or so. The behaviour you describe doesn't sound familiar to me.

Giving a high dose of calcium (not normal food, but like a Tums, or I put some powdered eggshells on her pellets when she's about due) is a preventive measure, don't think it would do much once problems started but it wouldn't hurt either. If you think there is a kit stuck I would see a vet. Last year I had a successful emergency spay done on a 7yo doe with a stuck kit after an accidential pregnancy.

Good luck.

Uhm, well, english can indeed be confusing sometimes when it's not your mother tounge, I reckon.

Anyway, it's been quite some time, how is your rabbit doing?
I'm rarely around when my does kindle, so I can't really tell if there is a problem. But usually they are done pretty quickly, within an hour or so. The behaviour you describe doesn't sound familiar to me.

Giving a high dose of calcium (not normal food, but like a Tums, or I put some powdered eggshells on her pellets when she's about due) is a preventive measure, don't think it would do much once problems started but it wouldn't hurt either. If you think there is a kit stuck I would see a vet. Last year I had a successful emergency spay done on a 7yo doe with a stuck kit after an accidential pregnancy.

Good luck.
Hi, thanks for checking in. Cinnamon had 2 babies both passed, the first one was last night, and she just had one about 30 minutes ago that was also still born. Looks like she may have tried to eat it, she is eating pellets, hay and drinking water. I see her using the bathroom. she’s up and walking and not bleeding. she seems to be doing well, I think she kinda had one stuck.. and it come out this morning. My cinnamon is 6 months old as of the 23rd, very young and weighs 3.6 lbs. I think she was just to small because the babies didn’t look developed.

Ah, well, sorry. She isn't too young, but things always can happen. I reckon I'm rather blessed with my rabits that are from generic farm meat mutt lines, very little issues.

That she would try eating dead kits is normal behaviour, in nature dead kits would attract predators. How she's doing ounds good so far :).

Latest posts

Back