Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollyisthecoolest

Reaction score
On Monday and Tuesday, the met office has put out a red weather warning for the heat where i am (meaning extreme heat that can cause injury + illness to healthy people) and its suppose to get to 33 degrees c and in britain, its usually around 20c in the summer.

My rabbit (short haired 6 month old) is an outdoor rabbit mainly because he loves having the space to run around and loves being able to dig in the grass. Last heatwave, it was 29c and he barely coped. He mainly just slept and drank water.

I usually put him in the shade and give him an ice pack that he enjoys laying on for extreme heat like this but the red weather warning has made me extremely worried for his health so any advice to what i should do would be amazing!

I hear people really like using frozen spare floor tiles (ceramic or clay) and the rabbit lays on them to cool down. If you can have a few of those on hand and ready so you can switch them out. Have lots of frozen water bottles and ice packs ready. I have seen kids at my 4H fair spray their rabbits' ears with a spray bottle of cold water, not sure if that helps. Ice cubes in his water bowl/bottle will keep his water from getting too warm to the point he doesn't want to drink it. You can also make ice cubes with frozen fruit in them to give him a treat and fun while staying cool. Defiantly put his home area in the shade as well. If you can get a small electric battery-charged clip fan and hook it in his hutch/cage in a place where he likes to sleep that can also really help as a bonus, haha.
It gets really hot here in the summer (85-95F) and so when I do fairs there is always one or two people making sure the rabbits have enough water and a frozen bottle. We check for lethargy, panting (nose getting really wet from said panting as well), and making sure the rabbit is eating/drinking.

Frozen water bottles, cold tiles, rinse of your rabbits veggies with cold water, check on him frequently, get your hand a little wet (with cold water) and rub them between your rabbits ears, Brush him, Make sure he has cold water all the time, Give him lots of shade, Use a fan, ( since he is an outdoor rabbit you will need a exertion cord for the fan) Ice packs as you said, If the ice pack and water bottle is to cold you can put them in a sock. Thats all my ideas, hope this helps. ☺️

On Monday and Tuesday, the met office has put out a red weather warning for the heat where i am (meaning extreme heat that can cause injury + illness to healthy people) and its suppose to get to 33 degrees c and in britain, its usually around 20c in the summer.

My rabbit (short haired 6 month old) is an outdoor rabbit mainly because he loves having the space to run around and loves being able to dig in the grass. Last heatwave, it was 29c and he barely coped. He mainly just slept and drank water.

I usually put him in the shade and give him an ice pack that he enjoys laying on for extreme heat like this but the red weather warning has made me extremely worried for his health so any advice to what i should do would be amazing!
My rabbits live indoors and are coping alright in the shade so maybe you could bring them indoors for the warm weather or into a shed or garage.

Latest posts

Back